Hi from a new soon to be owner

Scott199

Registered
Hi all.

Just wanted to say hello.
I don’t currently have a parrot but been researching and looking for around a year now and hopefully ready to take the next step very soon.

I’ll stop there for now, but no fear I’ll be asking plenty of question.

Scott199

Registered
Welcome, come on you have to tell us more than that
:) I thought I’d try the “suspense” approach.

Thank you both for the reply.

It’s been a long 12/18 months of research, I’ve always wanted a parrot but life/family/work were not the best, but now kids are older 15, 18, 21 ( but still at home :rolleyes:) now I’m in an 8-5 job and wife doesn’t work, life’s a little more settled and we spend a lot of time at home, feel it’s the right time.

Scott199

Registered
Have you any particular species in mind?
Well this should be simple, but it’s a long winded answer, I’ll try to be brief.

I started and really wanted a White bellied caique, but after joining FB pages and getting told they were unsuitable, temperamental, nasty attack birds, I was turned away. Next I looked at GCC but again was told to avoid, nippy, hormonal etc, etc.

So I’ve researched a lot more and found what I think is a lovely Senegal (14 months I think) she was very tame, allowed me to stroke and play with her instantly, but again have been told to avoid as they are “one person” and probably won’t like anyone else in the family.

So to put it bluntly, I’m slightly confused and thinking the caique would be better.

Sorry for the long winded reply, honest, it’s the short version

dianaT

Staff member
Difficult to answer as whichever bird you choose the bird usually decides who is their favourite person and if you wife is at home all he time she is likely to prefer a bird that would prefer her, that she can handle and have out of the cage during the day at various times. For most of us it's pot luck I'm afraid, and also why so many of us end up with more than one parrot ! After that the 'parrot big' takes over !!

Michael Reynolds

the problem with parrots are they are all individuals, the Senegal's I have, Sparky is good with me providing I read his body language he has bit me twice and I do call them Draculas with wings or clingon's, I will say a one person bird, Niblet will go to any one young old male or female. I have had one bite but that was my fault, I normally bring him to shows with me, Terry I share with a elderly person, he love her but also gets on well with me, they can be very loving and I find them easy to train, good if in a cage for long times providing they have plenty to do. one bird I recommend for some one having a busy life style I looked after a female that was extremely loving with any one, on the down side is these birds are very popular around kent so i find I get calls regarding them attacking others, this is normally controllable with training not only the parrot but more the owners. Have you looked into Meyer's parrot, very similar species but not flighty and a far calmer bird?

The green cheek conure is know to be nippy in its younger years as are many conures, are, they will grow out of it but the nips are not bad as they love a bit of rough play. they can become very loving birds and normally do not choose a favorite and attack other members, I have several species of conures my favorite is the Sun Conure but the only problem is they can give a loud sharp call. mne often ends up sleeping with me. I have found the Pineapple the less nippy of the green cheek's

the Caique, my experience with these is rather limited to a few birds they are very boisterous and also like rough play, they are comical but to be honest I will rather see them with another caique they can play with, the ones I have looked after have been friendly but also destructive so its important that they get a lot of stimulation, we have a few members that can tell you more about these birds and there ways

Scott199

Registered
Difficult to answer as whichever bird you choose the bird usually decides who is their favourite person and if you wife is at home all he time she is likely to prefer a bird that would prefer her, that she can handle and have out of the cage during the day at various times. For most of us it's pot luck I'm afraid, and also why so many of us end up with more than one parrot ! After that the 'parrot big' takes over !!
Hi, thank you, my wife is happy for me to have a parrot, but she’s not really a bird person, happy to chat with it, give treats, and play when I home and he/she is out etc but unlikely to get it out when I’m not around (well that’s the idea anyway)

the problem with parrots are they are all individuals, the Senegal's I have, Sparky is good with me providing I read his body language he has bit me twice and I do call them Draculas with wings or clingon's, I will say a one person bird, Niblet will go to any one young old male or female. I have had one bite but that was my fault, I normally bring him to shows with me, Terry I share with a elderly person, he love her but also gets on well with me, they can be very loving and I find them easy to train, good if in a cage for long times providing they have plenty to do. one bird I recommend for some one having a busy life style I looked after a female that was extremely loving with any one, on the down side is these birds are very popular around kent so i find I get calls regarding them attacking others, this is normally controllable with training not only the parrot but more the owners. Have you looked into Meyer's parrot, very similar species but not flighty and a far calmer bird?

The green cheek conure is know to be nippy in its younger years as are many conures, are, they will grow out of it but the nips are not bad as they love a bit of rough play. they can become very loving birds and normally do not choose a favorite and attack other members, I have several species of conures my favorite is the Sun Conure but the only problem is they can give a loud sharp call. mne often ends up sleeping with me. I have found the Pineapple the less nippy of the green cheek's

the Caique, my experience with these is rather limited to a few birds they are very boisterous and also like rough play, they are comical but to be honest I will rather see them with another caique they can play with, the ones I have looked after have been friendly but also destructive so its important that they get a lot of stimulation, we have a few members that can tell you more about these birds and there ways
Hi, I haven’t looked at meyers, I’ll take a look, thank you.

Thank you for the advise regarding the others, when you say Senegal’s attacking others, do you mean other birds ?

I have no intention of buying more, well I’m sure you’ve heard that before, but the plan is to have just one, it will probably be in the cage most of the day, then out most of the evening when I’m home, usually at 5, again this may change and be out more but I want to be honest as I can.

Cage will be as large as I can fit the living room, something like the below (pending bar spacing)
:

Michael Reynolds

you should not keep female senegals together, but I was talking about other people being attacked, they need attention while they are out and can be very flighty, as with any parrot they should be taught that they cannot fly through glass or in to mirrors. they love to be high up in a cage, they love snuggle huts to sleep in (always check that they are in good condition as they can slowly destroy them and cotton threads left gas been known to injure a bird or get a bird tied up in it. I do have corner cages but I only use them in the garden, they do prefer cages on stands than cages that go to the ground. I would not advise getting a corner cage for any of the species you have mentioned.

Scott199

Registered
you should not keep female senegals together, but I was talking about other people being attacked, they need attention while they are out and can be very flighty, as with any parrot they should be taught that they cannot fly through glass or in to mirrors. they love to be high up in a cage, they love snuggle huts to sleep in (always check that they are in good condition as they can slowly destroy them and cotton threads left gas been known to injure a bird or get a bird tied up in it. I do have corner cages but I only use them in the garden, they do prefer cages on stands than cages that go to the ground. I would not advise getting a corner cage for any of the species you have mentioned.
Thank you, great info,

any reason not to have corner cage for those species ?

When you say cages on stands are you thinking mire like this ?

I was worried it may be a bit small and large corner/floor cage would be bigger and better ?

Michael Reynolds

if a cage goes to the floor the birds you are looking at will not fill so safe, a corner cage dose not give so much room inside for the toys and flapping space they will need, its hard to arrange the cage to provide both, with the perches being in a positions as well as the toys so your bird dose not poop in it feed bowls. the cage from Montana looks great. toys one end giving room for the bird to strech its wings the other end

Kendra

Personally I would never go for a corner cage, as Michael says they look big but really are only for small birds due to the limited space. Strangely enough I bought that cage but a size bigger for my cockatiel and parakeet (small birds), they were really unhappy with it, so it has gone.

I would buy a 2nd hand original Montana rather than new now, Montanas are not as good as they used to be, sold out to Liberty, standards plummeted.

I think you need to wait though until you decide which bird you are having before looking at cages.

This is my own opinion but an Orange Wing Amazon is my favourite, the clown of the Amazon world. Not too large a bird and appears to adapt easily and can be won over by the whole family, if given time and the correct treatment. (see the picture above my name)

Scott199

Registered
if a cage goes to the floor the birds you are looking at will not fill so safe, a corner cage dose not give so much room inside for the toys and flapping space they will need, its hard to arrange the cage to provide both, with the perches being in a positions as well as the toys so your bird dose not poop in it feed bowls. the cage from Montana looks great. toys one end giving room for the bird to strech its wings the other end
Makes complete sense when you explain it like that, I’ll keep this in mind, so technically a wider cage is better than higher/taller ?
One end loaded with play stuff and an empty end for a bit of space.

Scott199

Registered
Personally I would never go for a corner cage, as Michael says they look big but really are only for small birds due to the limited space. Strangely enough I bought that cage but a size bigger for my cockatiel and parakeet (small birds), they were really unhappy with it, so it has gone.

I would buy a 2nd hand original Montana rather than new now, Montanas are not as good as they used to be, sold out to Liberty, standards plummeted.

I think you need to wait though until you decide which bird you are having before looking at cages.

This is my own opinion but an Orange Wing Amazon is my favourite, the clown of the Amazon world. Not too large a bird and appears to adapt easily and can be won over by the whole family, if given time and the correct treatment. (see the picture above my name)
Thanks, I’ll certainly take a look at the orange wing Amazon

Michael Reynolds

Kendra Cockatiels and Bourks will prefer cages going to the ground, they are ground feeders, Senegals and meyres and conures do not like to rest to close to the ground and will hardly use the bottom of a long cage, if the cage is away from the floor they will gladly play at the bottom with foot toys

Kendra

What is it about OWA?, Chorley hardly goes in his cage and is never shut in at night whilst others are. He is the least destructive of all the birds, but every birds I have has bitten me at some time which I think is normal and the human not reading them correctly.

Scott199

Registered
I will say the orange winged amazons are brilliant birds normally in a home I have two that are never caged friendly and bright members of the flock
What is it about OWA?, Chorley hardly goes in his cage and is never shut in at night whilst others are. He is the least destructive of all the birds, but every birds I have has bitten me at some time which I think is normal and the human not reading them correctly.
Well I wish I had come here 18 months ago, first time I’ve heard of the OWA, I’ve never been recommenced this one before and spent last 30/45 mins looking at most say nothing but good things, seem to be good with a family, friendly and good natured.
Would you both agree with that (I understand it’s only a general statement and everyone is different)

Are they playful and enjoy being with around you a lot ?

What about noise, compared to caiques/Senegal’s ?

Top Bottom