Hello, I'm New!

hiccupping-hippo

Registered
Hello,

I have been visiting the forum for a while now and thought I should pop in and say hello!

I'm totally new to birds but have always wanted a little feathered friend!

I have been researching for a very long time – think I must be one of Amazon's best customers for second-hand parrot books!! - and I think and hope that I have narrowed the choice down to three, an Alexandrine, a Quaker or a Senegal.

The only worry I have is that – hopefully!! - I will reach the big '50' next year and I don't want to take on a bird that may end up being re-homed one day... Of course, I understand that circumstances can change for any number of reasons but much as I love them, I wouldn't take on something like an African Grey who would still be a baby when I'm – hopefully! - in my dotage!

I'd like a happy, friendly bird who could play, enjoy company, be taken for walks, and has the ability to talk – I don't mind noise, but not screeching.

I have loads of love to give and work from home much of the time but would like for the bird to have the ability to be left alone for a while each day if that changes in the future. I have no children so that is not a problem, no little hands to worry about!

I won't be in a position to actually bring a bird into my life until late this year or early next, but would like to spend the time until then getting everything ready, cage, toys, playstand etc!

I live in Cornwall and don't drive so travelling to breeders is going to be huge problem, there are pet shops down here which sell birds but I do worry that it may be a huge mistake to buy from one.

Please can I have your thoughts on which bird would be best for me?  I am so indecisive and love each one of those I have mentioned! Thank you so much!

Hi hiccupping-hippo and :welcome:

I think you are acting very responsibly by researching, and looking at your personal circumstances.

I hope you get the species of parrot you have decided upon.

looking forward to hearing more of your quest for a bird.

:welcome:   Hiccuping-hippo  I would rather buy from a breeder my self as they will know more about the birds they are bringing up.  please join us mad lot when you want and Its not about parrot owners but parrot lovers and cearers, you will find useful tips and hints with a lot of experanced owners to help you on your way.

Hi and  :welcome: to the forum, love the name  :biggrin:

Great you are doing so much research, the 3 you mentioned are all lovely birds, its down to personal choice really, I know we have a few members with Quakers and they sound lovely little characters, the other option if you really wanted a larger parrot would be to rehome an older bird  :thumbsup:   

Hi Hiccupping-Hippo and welcome to the forum. I do so hope that is not your real name :biggrin:

I wil leave it to more experienced members to give suggestions on the right bird for you.

just a thought that came to me before I sent this is you want to get everything ready for the bird. But, you may need to know what bird you are going to get as different cages come with different bar spacings and you want the right things for the bird you will get. Perch sizes will also come into it.

Cheers

Nigel

Hello and welcome!

I know Cornwall well, I only fully moved away from there late last year. I got Loki, my Senegal while I was living there. I had the same issue of trying to find parrot breeders in the south west and failed miserably so in the end I had Loki delivered from Parrotcare. I'm glad that I did because he's got so much character and was tame and easy to handle from the minute that he arrived. He's such a funny little thing as well, aways making me laugh with his antics and he's very good at learning tricks. From what I've read Quakers are quite similar but louder. I don't know a lot about Alexandrines but they are very pretty!

I think that Senegals are the least likely of those species to screech. They have a high pitched contact call that they might use a few times when you go out of sight but I find that much less hideous than the sound of my budgies shrieking. Senegals in the wild live in very small groups or in pairs so they cope well with being left alone. I Don't know about the other 2 species.

Lauren, on 13 Mar 2013 - 19:35, said:
Hello and welcome!

I know Cornwall well, I only fully moved away from there late last year. I got Loki, my Senegal while I was living there. I had the same issue of trying to find parrot breeders in the south west and failed miserably so in the end I had Loki delivered from Parrotcare. I'm glad that I did because he's got so much character and was tame and easy to handle from the minute that he arrived. He's such a funny little thing as well, aways making me laugh with his antics and he's very good at learning tricks. From what I've read Quakers are quite similar but louder. I don't know a lot about Alexandrines but they are very pretty!

I think that Senegals are the least likely of those species to screech. They have a high pitched contact call that they might use a few times when you go out of sight but I find that much less hideous than the sound of my budgies shrieking. Senegals in the wild live in very small groups or in pairs so they cope well with being left alone. I Don't know about the other 2 species.
Hello, thank you so much for the welcome!

I'm so pleased to hear that you have purchased from Parrotcare, as I have been thinking they well be my only option – I really don't want to buy from a pet shop.

I do love Senegals, I keep looking on You Tube at all the antics they get up to!

Alexandrines are so very pretty but I'm just a little worried they be too much parrot for me.

Quakers are lovely, too.. Decisions, decisions!

Thank you so much everybody for the lovely welcome, so much to think about!  I'm sure I will be asking all sorts of silly questions as time goes by! :)   

welcome from me and dusty in sunny cornwall too. I think any bird is worth travelling for :)   I often frequent foreign shores for a decent chicken. I am not scared to travel past truro! lol. good luck in your search. another good idea is to maybe find some keepers of birds your thinking of and visiting asking what they think of them. only had budgies,cockatiels and kakarikis and allways knew I wanted a grey. (or a Cornish chough ) :)

Welcome from me too!!  Great that you are putting so much thought into this cuz so many birds are given up cuz owner can't handle it. Nigel had a good point about buying cage ,etc, before you know what type of bird you are getting because size of bird matters!!  Good luck and have fun with your research and decision!!!    :welcome:      :biggrin:

Hello and welcome from me and the flock :)

Taking in a rescue bird sounds like a lovely thing to do. If you joined somewhere like "A Parrot Charity Site" then they have ACO`s in your area so driving would be an issue :)

Sounds like you have everything well planned and I wish you every success in your search for the right bird, I`m sure it will  happen.

As for the age thing, nobody knows what will happen to any of us in any of our lives regardless of age, kids, marital status etc :)

Thank you so much everyone, I feel very welcome, such a friendly place to join!

Thank you too, for all the advice – it is so helpful to have other points of view on my hoped-for birdie.

Scarlett, thank you for your comments on the age thing, and circumstances. I do slightly favour one bird and I would like to follow my heart... I'm sure that when I decide I'll be flexing the poor credit card in your shop – parrot heaven!!

I will certainly think about taking in a rescue bird, it would be so lovely to help a bird.

Thank you everyone :)  

If you have your heart set on a particular type then I would go with your instinct, toherwise, you`ll get another bird and whilst I`m sure you would love it with all your heart and take great care of it, it still won`t be the one you desire most and you`ll still think after that species.

If you need any help with our products we`re always here and it`s great to have you part of the forum even if you are currently birdless lol

Welcome to the forum and good luck with finding the right bird. I should not rule out any bird because of your current age - I was 49 when I purchased Myfanwy in November 2011 and ummed and aahed about it a bit, but as you say circumstances can change and as Scarlett infers both people and birds can die young (I had an Orange-winged Amazon that died aged 6), there are no guarantees. I think if you have made provision for your bird in case something happens then that is the main thing. Not driving can be a problem, I trekked to Norfolk by train to collect a Senegal the other year (not Winslet, she came from a pet shop in Scarborough) but Myfanwy was very kindly delivered from Suffolk for me. I understand that you are not keen to buy from a pet shop or dealer, but there is a bird dealer in Cornwall that advertises in "Cage & Aviary BIrds" just about every week and often has hand-reared baby parrots for sale (with delivery available).

Back
Top Bottom