The 'pionus Wheeze'

Archibald's Slave

I can only assume that this behaviour is what is referred to as the 'Pionus wheeze' or 'pant' in the many books and articles I researched before Chelo's arrival.
Am posting to confirm that it is the known behaviour (cant think what else it is?) and to share an example to others of the behaviour; Although it is well documented in writing, I have not seen any video examples of what to expect when a Pionus Parrot performs the behaviour and the descriptions vary quite a bit (guess many writings are anecdotal and not from experience)

She does this when she is about to get the tickles that she has begged for.. almost as if she is getting so excited that I understand her and give her what she wants ..
It is adorable! :)

That sound and the movement of the bird is not Pionus wheeze.Pionus wheeze occurs when strangers get too close,or in my experience when I had to get a health check for export.
The noise appears to be excitement and not fear.

I think it is the Pionus wheeze. Kobe's (also Blue-headed Pionus) "excited" wheeze is much wetter sounding than his "discomfort" wheeze. He can sound like a steam train when he is getting his head scratched. Chelo's is faster than Kobe's. :D

it also occurs because they originiate from the mountains of south america (is it the andes or am i getting my mountain ranges confused?) the air is thinner at the altitude theyre used to and even captive bred birds arent adapted to our 'thicker' air.

it also occurs because they originiate from the mountains of south america (is it the andes or am i getting my mountain ranges confused?) the air is thinner at the altitude theyre used to and even captive bred birds arent adapted to our 'thicker' air.

You're absolutely right about the Andes. :) Whilst it's true that some of the rarer species like Plum-crowned and White-headed live almost exclusively at high altitudes, the more common species (including Blue-headed, Maxi's and Bronze-winged) have also been recorded living quite comfortably in lowland environments as well, seeming to flourish in a wide variety of climatic conditions - temperate and tropical, high and low humidity.

At the time of writing his book, The Practical Pionus (2004), Russ Shade wasn't sure how wheezing pays off in the wild, but suspected it is part of the flock dynamism.

Back
Top Bottom