Remys Ill

CaptainHowdy

Really upset by this, only just got him of Psittacosis and now he's ill!

Checked on him sat all was fine, didn't have time when I got in from work as they were sleeping and I didn't want to disturb them, checked him this morning and thought it odd I wasn't getting the usual screaming when they hear me coming so I called out to them and I heard Reva replying. Go in with them and Remy can not talk, he is eye pinning and trying to vocalise and it's just squeaking coming out.

So I have left him for the day to monitor him but there is only mild improvement.

Naturally my first thought was Aspergilliosis, maybe Giardia.

Otherwise he is perfectly fine, eating drinking pooping playing with toys, his brother Reva is totally fine. I split them up last week into separate cages cause of their fighting but they can still see each other.

Calling the vet first thing to take him in. Praying it's something stupid like a stuck seed.

As a side note he does not get monkey nuts with me but in that hell hole of a petshop thats all he was fed for 4 years, a very basic, very crappy 'parrot mix' full of monkey nuts and sunflower seeds :(

Good luck at the vet , hope its something that can be sorted easily  :thumbsup:

I hope everything is okay. Lucas seemed to lose his voice a few weeks back, hence the vets trip, his voice returned a few days later and all his tests came back clear!!!!!

I really hope all is okay xx

Fingers crossed that you can get him seen tomorrow and that it's nothing serious ((hugs)) 

Julie

Just got in, checked him first thing and no change so I called up the vets, my normal avian isn't seeing birds at current and the other avian isn't in till weds, however once they put me through to the vet and she knew who it was and that Remy is negative for Psittacosis she said to bring him in.

So rushed around and caught him up, had to go on public transport which is always fun. Got him there and went straight in, we discussed Aspergilliosis as a possible cause, she had a good look at him and checked his breathing rate and how long it took to go back to normal, it took a bit longer than it should have.

So we had to have a Tracheoscopy done under anaesthetic, I stayed in the waiting room the whole time. She called me back in and thank god there is no Aspergilliosis, but he is full of mucus and all the wall lining is imflamed. So now hes on antibiotics for 7 days and an anti-fungal for 6 weeks to kill off whatevers in there. They also nebulised him for 20 minutes.

Needless to say after this 6 weeks of daily oral dosing he's going to really hate me, and I don't have a clue how I'm going to manage it but I'll find a way. Lucky it's nothing Reva can catch or would also have, got to call back in a week to tell her how he's doing.

Total cost for today:

£272.42

Had it have been Aspergilliosis and had he have had the growths/ nodes it would have been £500/ £600 if they had to be surgically removed if they were too big.

Seriously guys you can stop worrying me now and stay healthy!!!!

Thank god it was nothing extremely serious and hopefully he'll make a full recovery with the meds

Julie

Well done  and it looks like the vet did a thorough job - find out what Remys favourite treat is and five it only after medication. I have had to give antibiotics twice a day for 30 days (nearly finished) to my red lored amazon Miss Rambo as her pal whom we only had for 4 lovely weeks died suddenly from many complications due to previous history but as a precaution Miss Rambo had to take antibiotics - so I have been giving it to her with diluted Ribena (not the no added sugar stuff) via syringe and afterwards (she does not like it at all) she gets four or five pine nuts - her favourite.

I find toweling her makes it easier than trying to fight her and end up getting the syringe in the eye or something.

All the best :)

Harley takes his meds on bread really well.

I`m so glad it isn`t anything serious, did the vets run bloods too??

Lucas didn`t have any inflammation or anything in the throat. Did they suggest allergies as a possibility?

What a worry, I really feel for you, the birds are lucky to have you caring for them. i`m glad it wasn`t Aspergillosis, generally the voice going is a latter stages or crystals in the throat which can be different to the asper generally thought of.

Phew!

That Tracheoscopy is what Harley had done a week ago :)

Harley takes his meds on bread really well.

I`m so glad it isn`t anything serious, did the vets run bloods too??

Lucas didn`t have any inflammation or anything in the throat. Did they suggest allergies as a possibility?

What a worry, I really feel for you, the birds are lucky to have you caring for them. i`m glad it wasn`t Aspergillosis, generally the voice going is a latter stages or crystals in the throat which can be different to the asper generally thought of.

Phew!

That Tracheoscopy is what Harley had done a week ago :)
No bloods no as he's only recently have them redone anyway.

Didn't mention allergies, she says its likely down to stress thats bought it on, hes just been moved out of quarantine to mine, then I split them up earlier last week into separate cages, plus he's moulting at the minute. So she thinks he's likely just run down.

If he's not any better in a week or so we'll be doing swabs and stuff.

It's never simple is it lol.

I`m sure the meds will sort it out, sounds like he`s picked up a bit of an infection being run down xx

I`m sure the meds will sort it out, sounds like he`s picked up a bit of an infection being run down xx
Hopefully he'll be fine in 6 weeks. Going to have fun giving him two lots of meds for the next week though, one is bad enough lol. Who knows he might turn out like Rocky and just drink it neat from the syringe lol.

Think my bank balance needs time to recuperate after all this lol.

Back
Top Bottom