Not Posted For Ages But Need Some Seagull Advice

Lisa7284

Hi all,

Not been on the forum for a while but need some advice on seagulls. I am having issues with problem humans that are bothering poor seagulls! In the Industrial Estate near to where I live you can find seagulls. They have lived there for years and years and nest on the rooftops of the workshops. They are not vicious and do not interact with people however they do poop on everything.

At the beginning of May I noticed they started nesting and you can see them up there sat on their nests. This morning I look up to find these weird, big, black birds on poles. I have found out the owner of the building has had enough of bird poop on his car and put these 'flying birds' up to try and scare the seagulls away. I am so annoyed by this- he could have chosen ANY time to attempt this but has waited until they are nesting.

I have been watching and although the seagulls look a bit wary of this flying intruder, it does not not seem to be causing too much distress. I am just a bit worried that they will continued to try and get rid of them. I have the email address of the company and plan to send them an email to let them know I know what they are up to and plan to stop them (yes, I know I am sounding like a crazy bird lady). I feel quite protective over these seagulls (having rescued a few of them in the past- the ones that try and fly before their time and end up in your garden!)

I have looked online to see if there is a law that protects nesting seagulls but the answers are vague and contradictory. Any advice would be appreciated.

Well I think it's great you are trying to do something about it
Unfortunately I've got no idea so hopefully someone else can advise

Thank you Heather. The locals have become quite attached to them. I know they can be a bit of a pain and if they had chosen to scare them off earlier in the year, I would have kept my mouth shut (well possibly not but I wouldn't have been so annoyed). But they have waited for them to nest- it just seems wrong to terrorise nesting birds.

Welcome back,

You could contact your local council animal welfare officer for advice.

Thanks Diana,

I have emailed the company, explaining that they have not chosen the best time to deter the seagulls (who have lived there for years and years) and requesting they remove the damn thing until after September.

Thanks- will try them too. Alfie is.....um well...Alfie. His hormones are raging and he hates EVERYONE. No longer just happy to 'see people off' when they get into 'his' space he now actively hunts people down! :mad:

Thanks- will try them too. Alfie is.....um well...Alfie. His hormones are raging and he hates EVERYONE. No longer just happy to 'see people off' when they get into 'his' space he now actively hunts people down! :mad:

:risas3: Oops :nono: yep...that certainly sounds like Alfie.... bless him, such a huge personality in that green feather wrapping. xx

Oh he is fully embracing the monster within at the moment. I was told yesterday he is nothing but a bully :emoji_disappointed_relieved: He's not giving me much to work with in a way of a defence for him. I keep trying to explain it's just the time of year and his hormones....but then it was pointed out to me he is not that much better the rest of the year. :emoji_pensive:

Plus he has taken to plucking his sides....he think because it is under his wings I won't notice- but I have and he looks ridiculous- bare back and sides (I think Alfie might be an emo in the parrot world). :emoji_face_palm:

Hi well the method of control of the seagull population they are using is one that may be approved as one of the kindest approved ways. although to us it is still barbaric by not allowing them to breed at the site the birds may choose a another place to nest and move to there to start there families. seagull poop is very acidic and can damage car paintwork but also cause a build up of droppings on buildings and other mites ect too breed and cause health issues to staff and this may be especially important to prevent if the company or its products have connections with foods. Some of the other methods include traps, poison, spikes, nets and shooting. I am sure the owners of the company have acted on advice and wanted a better way of control including the timing as it will give the birds enough time to re-lay using a different place to nest. If the owners did not like birds they may of used removal of nests adding spikes that can cause injury to birds (I have seen pidgins get impaled) or nets and yet again they can get all birds caught up in them. I know you would rather they left them alone but I in this case would not complain in case they use one of the other methods.

Unfortunately Lisa I think Michael is correct. In theory they are not harming the birds, just aiming to deter them but it is such a shame they chose this time to do it, I suppose with nesting the poop problems has increased.

Perhaps a kind friendly word asking them to wait and just sit it out just for this season?

Little Gull and Mediterranean Gull are the only Gulls included on Schedule 1 Part 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act

The Act gives:
Basic protection
All birds, their nests and eggs are protected by law and it is thus an offence, with certain exceptions (see Exceptions), to:

• intentionally kill, injure or take any wild bird
  • intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird whilst it is in use or being built
  • intentionally take or destroy the egg of any wild bird
  • have in one's possession or control any wild bird, dead or alive, or any part of a wild bird, which has been taken in contravention of the Act or the Protection of Birds Act 1954
  • have in one's possession or control any egg or part of an egg which has been taken in contravention of the Act or the Protection of Birds Act 1954
  • use traps or similar items to kill, injure or take wild birds
  • have in one's possession or control any bird of a species occurring on Schedule 4 of the Act unless registered, and in most cases ringed, in accordance with the Secretary of State's regulations (see Schedules)
  • intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird listed on Schedule 1 while it is nest building, or at a nest containing eggs or young, or disturb the dependent young of such a bird.
Fines
The maximum penalty that can be imposed for an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act - in respect of a single bird, nest or egg - is a fine of up to £5,000, and/or six months' imprisonment.

Back
Top Bottom