New to the parrot club

Gail121

Hello all

I am soon to be the owner of a pineapple conure, hopefully picking him up at the weekend, so wanted to join the club so I can get as much help and advice as possible as this will be my first parrot.

Hi Gail121 and welcome :wave:
We're a friendly bunch here, so pull up a perch and have a good look round the site...there's loads of info in our Caring for feathers friends section...and if there's anything you're not sure about, just ask.
Can I draw your attention to environmental hazards.......Teflon coated pans, scented candles,make fresheners, etc..... Food that are toxic....avocado, chocolate, caffeine, etc.
pIneapple conures are lovely birds...so you'll have to tell us all about him/her....oooo and we love seeing piccies:thumbsup:

:wave: Hey Gail121 welcome to the forum
OooooOoooo i bet you are so excited you don't sleep between now and the weekend :aplastao:

Thanks for the welcome.

I will send a pic as soon as I work out how to do it as at the moment it keeps saying the file is too large.

Hi welcome from me too.
Quite a few members have conures and some have the pineapple one too.
Will this be your first parrot.

image.jpg
This is the little beaut I am getting, I don't have a name as yet so any suggestions please. I don't know the sex because I didn't want to put it through having the DNA test and didn't think it would make any difference anyway.

We shall have to get our thinking caps on and suggest some names, although once he's home you will find something suitable I am sure.

Hi Gail
I have 2 green cheeks, pineapple and a yellow sided. They are so much fun, inquisitive little birds, you really have to watch everything and baby proof your house, lol. Also hot running taps they can fly right in, they love water!
I supplied perches around the room with toys, to try and keep them to those places mostly.
I had to learn the hard way, of making sure they love their cage so much, they want to go back in after flying, as a bird that doesn't want to end play time, is not easy to catch, lol.
You will have fun together. Ours are called Connie & Allen.
Am afraid I'm no good at choosing names, so not much help sorry.
Look forward to hearing all about him/her.

Hi Gail,

We (my wife and myself) got our own two new baby conures only about a week ago (have posted about them in more detail elsewhere in the forum), and they are doing very well so far. If yours is anything like our two you will likely end up with about as much cuteness and mischief as you can handle at once! I think care has to be taken not to spoil them too (more experienced owners can maybe confirm this) as ours are always testing boundaries and trying it on with something or other, just like little kids really. I think if you give in to them too much they will have you trained before you know it (rather than the other way round as you might hope).

On the name front, how about calling him/her Abacaxi (aba-ca-SHE)? It means pineapple in Brazilian Portuguese (coming originally from a native language), and I think you could plausibly shorten it to "Ash" in English, which would be pretty gender-neutral, since the sex is unknown.

Congratulations on choosing your new baby; I'm sure you will have lots of fun with it!

A small Pyrrhura conure is properly called a "Tiriba" (occasionally "Tiriva") in Brazil, but might be called a "periquito" (parakeet) by those who don't know much about birds; the Spanish-speaking neighbours would probably use a different word or words for their birds though (no idea what that is, my Spanish doesn't stretch that far). Many Brazilian names for native birds derive ultimately from names in indigenous languages. There isn't really a Brazilian word equivalent to "Conure" as the native species are popularly named and classified quite differently to how they are in the English-speaking world. I'd have to make a separate post on that topic to answer it adequately though, as I don't want to hijack this thread!

yes a separate thread would be great and would make an interesting read. I still love the native word for pineapple Abacaxi well it can be used in many different names for Gail's bird. like Abba, Xi (Zye) and just playing with the name as it end with the roman numeral number Eleven

I like the name abacaxi too but I have two grandchildren that would struggle with that name, so I've been thinking along the lines of the different colours and so far come up with Skittles and Rainbow.

Reactions: K8
Back
Top Bottom