New Senegal

MellyM

Registered
Good Morning, my name is Melly and I have recently become the mum of a rescued Senegal parrot called Gulliver (Gully) 27M. My previous experience was keeping chickens and as a child my grandfather kept budgies and cockatiels so had an interest from a young age.

I find I could talk about my bird all day so needed a group of people to do that with haha ! I am a first time parrot owner so I am still learning but I would say I already have a good knowledge due to my research and I'm really grateful to provide a great retirement for my wee lad. He is doing very well, adjusting to his new diet, he is scared of hands, does not want handled but will take a treat. He is also cage bound so I'm not sure if he can fly and he hasnt shown interest in leaving the cage yet but I've already recieved lots of great advice on that from parrot trust.

Thanks

Sorry could get the photo to work right now

:welcome: well done for giving Gully a new home.
You can home to the right place to talk about parrots that's for sure!

I guess if he's cage bound it will take sometime for him to feel brave enough to venture out, if or when he does perhaps you could make or buy him a stand to fly to so he's something to aim at although keep it close to the cage until he is confident to fly, which he may or may not do. It is just a case of taking it slow and lots of patience. I am sure @Roz may offer advice in due course.
Senegals are such dear little birds, many years ago we bred them but now only have two who are not friends at all, they have their own cages and have to come out separately and I stay in the room to supervise, as you never know!

Hello and welcome, Having three Senegaal's living with me at the moment I can say these birds are great, you say cage bound this may be that he finds his space safe and the big outside a little scary, what do you know of his past? if he was kept in a cage most of his life he may need encouragements best by getting toys fitted to the out side of his cage, this will help him to explore the great outside and may be live more up to his name Gulliver and start him on his travels.

Hello and welcome, Having three Senegaal's living with me at the moment I can say these birds are great, you say cage bound this may be that he finds his space safe and the big outside a little scary, what do you know of his past? if he was kept in a cage most of his life he may need encouragements best by getting toys fitted to the out side of his cage, this will help him to explore the great outside and may be live more up to his name Gulliver and start him on his travels.

I'm lucky to know some information on his past. I've been led to believe he was trained in his early life then was passed from household to household in the same family. One household had 8 dogs. The most recent previous home he was kept in a spare room and they used a towel to reach in his cage and grab him. They said he was out of the cage "now and then" but I don't believe that tbh. I'm working on having perches and toys outside of the cage that he can climb to as I'm starting to think he doesnt know how to fly. I use the term cage bound as that's the term used in a lot of the reasearch I've read.

Thanks for welcoming me everyone

Getting him to trust you is now important I will call on @Roz for her suggestions on training although I will say I think that stick training may be the best way to go as dose not have to get too close to your hand and will fill more confident that may in time get him out of his shell. too often I have come across Senegal parrots left in there cages as they do have a nasty bite that can frighten people, time patients and love is all your bird needs to make him part of your family and more confident

Melly and I actually both got our parrots from the same charity 😃 we chatted on the phone last night as i volunteer with the charity and offer support/advice on things like training, nutrition etc to new adopters. I also suggested target/stick training for Gully. Think he would benefit from a hands off approach at this point since hes not had much human interaction in recent years 😔

I suggested joining this forum of bird crazies 😉 (meant in the best possible way! ) plus i needed someone else in scotland too! :pancarta::risas3:

:welcome: Melly and Gully! That's great you took in a rescue! Even greater is that he is doing so well with you.

I too had a "cage bound" bird who was afraid of hands... an Amazon called Ollie. He refused to leave the safety of his cage for 1.5 years, apart from once when he was startled and shot out which ended in disaster as I had to catch him with a towel to stop him hurting himself by flying into walls. Like Gully, Ollie had to be towelled daily for 9 months before he came to live with me so that he could be medicated. The result was that he was terrified of towels and hands. The good news is that with patience Gully can change just like Ollie.

As has been suggested, the first thing you need to do is build Gully's trust in you. There is no rush - you have all the time in the world. That is wonderful he will take treats from you! This is fantastic as you can use the treats to reinforce behaviour you want to see more of. PLUS you and your hands become associated with the treats so Gully will begin to look forward to you and your hands being around.

With Ollie I worked on trust first and being able to approach his cage without him freaking or hiding. As soon as I could get close enough I worked on him taking treats from me. It sounds like you are already at that stage! So then I worked very slowly on introducing Ollie to a hand held perch. I used one that he was used to (it was in his old cage) so that I didn't have to spend too long desensitising him to it. Gradually I brought it closer and closer to him in tiny approximations or steps watching his body language all the time. For each one of those steps I reinforced his relaxed body language with a treat. This took AGES as the only treat he would take from me was a huge palm nut - he could only have one a day so I could only ask for one step a day.

As training went on I discovered he liked cashews so training went faster as I was able to gradually break the cashews into smaller pieces allowing for more behaviour. Anyway I gradually shaped his stepping up on this hand held perch - never pushing him further than he was comfortable with. You can see how I did it here:

I did all this inside his cage. Then gradually I shaped his relaxed body language as I began to move the perch with him on it towards the cage door. Then put him back again. The hardest part was to bring him through the cage door. Eventually we got to his coming through the cage door on the perch, and me turning half a circle and then putting him back again. All this took just under 1.5 years! Then one Christmas he decided to fly out himself and landed on some hanging play gyms across the room. His first taste of freedom under his own steam.

I used to leave the door of his cage open most of the time anyway in case he wanted to try coming out himself. He had outdoor perches to tempt him. He never used them until much later, but all birds are individual. Gully might surprise you and climb out himself. It might be an idea to put a parrot stand nearby for him to climb out on just in case he can't fly. I did this for Bobbie, another of my rescue/rehome Amazons who couldn't fly when she arrived. Even though she learned to fly she still likes to climb out onto the stand and launch herself off it.

Watch Gully's body language all the time (without staring - staring is what predators do before they catch their prey!) and aim to keep it as relaxed as possible all the time. How is he with you cleaning out his cage, or changing the food/water bowls? If he is uneasy, get down low so that you are less of a threat.

Ollie has never got over his fear of hands in that he won't step up on me, but gradually I worked on being able to skritch his head and neck which he loves. If I have to move him, I usually call him and reinforce his coming to me or going into his cage of his own accord. Being hands off has never been a problem.

Looking forward to following your jouney with Gully!

:welcome: Melly and Gully! That's great you took in a rescue! Even greater is that he is doing so well with you.

I too had a "cage bound" bird who was afraid of hands... an Amazon called Ollie. He refused to leave the safety of his cage for 1.5 years, apart from once when he was startled and shot out which ended in disaster as I had to catch him with a towel to stop him hurting himself by flying into walls. Like Gully, Ollie had to be towelled daily for 9 months before he came to live with me so that he could be medicated. The result was that he was terrified of towels and hands. The good news is that with patience Gully can change just like Ollie.

As has been suggested, the first thing you need to do is build Gully's trust in you. There is no rush - you have all the time in the world. That is wonderful he will take treats from you! This is fantastic as you can use the treats to reinforce behaviour you want to see more of. PLUS you and your hands become associated with the treats so Gully will begin to look forward to you and your hands being around.

With Ollie I worked on trust first and being able to approach his cage without him freaking or hiding. As soon as I could get close enough I worked on him taking treats from me. It sounds like you are already at that stage! So then I worked very slowly on introducing Ollie to a hand held perch. I used one that he was used to (it was in his old cage) so that I didn't have to spend too long desensitising him to it. Gradually I brought it closer and closer to him in tiny approximations or steps watching his body language all the time. For each one of those steps I reinforced his relaxed body language with a treat. This took AGES as the only treat he would take from me was a huge palm nut - he could only have one a day so I could only ask for one step a day.

As training went on I discovered he liked cashews so training went faster as I was able to gradually break the cashews into smaller pieces allowing for more behaviour. Anyway I gradually shaped his stepping up on this hand held perch - never pushing him further than he was comfortable with. You can see how I did it here:

I did all this inside his cage. Then gradually I shaped his relaxed body language as I began to move the perch with him on it towards the cage door. Then put him back again. The hardest part was to bring him through the cage door. Eventually we got to his coming through the cage door on the perch, and me turning half a circle and then putting him back again. All this took just under 1.5 years! Then one Christmas he decided to fly out himself and landed on some hanging play gyms across the room. His first taste of freedom under his own steam.

I used to leave the door of his cage open most of the time anyway in case he wanted to try coming out himself. He had outdoor perches to tempt him. He never used them until much later, but all birds are individual. Gully might surprise you and climb out himself. It might be an idea to put a parrot stand nearby for him to climb out on just in case he can't fly. I did this for Bobbie, another of my rescue/rehome Amazons who couldn't fly when she arrived. Even though she learned to fly she still likes to climb out onto the stand and launch herself off it.

Watch Gully's body language all the time (without staring - staring is what predators do before they catch their prey!) and aim to keep it as relaxed as possible all the time. How is he with you cleaning out his cage, or changing the food/water bowls? If he is uneasy, get down low so that you are less of a threat.

Ollie has never got over his fear of hands in that he won't step up on me, but gradually I worked on being able to skritch his head and neck which he loves. If I have to move him, I usually call him and reinforce his coming to me or going into his cage of his own accord. Being hands off has never been a problem.

Looking forward to following your jouney with Gully!
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing experience! I do really appreciate it. With Gully, I have lots of patience as he has already made so much progress, I'm really impressed by him !
I'm still getting to know his behaviour so sometimes he is excited for attention from me and sometimes not. Some days he is very calm, other days he'll scream a lot and isnt interest in training. Its only been 16 days so still getting to know each other.
Most of the time he is cool with me change bowls and cleaning, when he is unhappy he goes up to the top of the cage and points himself downwards like he is ready to swoop but he just watches. I think he is beginning to trust I am not trying to grab him.

Reactions: Roz
Back
Top Bottom