Hello!

Squabbie

And the award for the least imaginative topic title goes too... :biggrin:

I 'caught the bird bug' about a year ago after taking in a couple of feral pigeons which had fallen from their nest on the roof onto my fire escape. Only one survived and I was gutted when he finally grew up and flew away a few weeks later! After a while I missed his company so much I decided to look into getting a companion bird and I'm mostly here to lurk and pick up on the combined wisdom of the regulars. I'm currently a bit obsessed with getting a cockatoo but I have done enough reading to realise that I should probably try something a bit smaller and less demanding first, but I am not sure what yet.

Hi and  :welcome:  great you re doing a bit of research first, good luck  :thumbsup:

Hi and welcome from me too

You'll find us all friendly and if you have any questions the. Shout up :)

Julie

Hi and welcome :)

Yeh, I'd probably wait a while before jumping in with a Too :laugh:    Aside from their noise levels alone they are or can be very clingy and demanding to say the least.

The best place to start is to think about the amount of time, space and money you have to commit to this venture!  Noise levels can also play a big part in a lot of peoples choices and there really is no such thing as a noiseless parrot.

Have fun doing your research!

Lisa x

Hello and welcome It wise to read our comments on different breeds and of course any questions please ask. To get a few Ideas Why not ask if you say the type of accommodation you live the amount max that you can spend including cage toys ect and what you would like to have in the way of closeness or talking ability and character of the bird.

Welcome from me too and so refreshing to see another new member doing research xxx

Welcome  :welcome:      Glad to read you are thinking about this first because they are alot of work  but at the same time lots of company and can be so much fun!!   Good luck!  :biggrin:   

I have read pretty much everywhere that toos can be clingy but that is part of the attraction to be honest. Above all I would like an affectionate and companionable bird, but I'm also interested in training. I think it would be satisfying rewarding  to spend the time and effort to develop a bird and form a bond around fun training activities. Talking ability is not something I'm fussed about. My living situation is great right now as I have a large house with no close neighbours and space in the garden for a small aviary or enclosure if I wanted to give the bird a nice place to be when there is nobody in the house (generally there is someone and if not it's only for a couple of hours at a time). The only things putting me off throwing myself into the deep end enthusiastically and actually getting a too are the warnings and the risk that getting a second-hand bird will mean potentially inheriting behaviour problems I'm not equipped to solve, at least not fast enough to stop them driving my partner up the wall :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read pretty much everywhere that toos can be clingy but that is part of the attraction to be honest. Above all I would like an affectionate and companionable bird, but I'm also interested in training. I think it would be satisfying rewarding  to spend the time and effort to develop a bird and form a bond around fun training activities. Talking ability is not something I'm fussed about. My living situation is great right now as I have a large house with no close neighbours and space in the garden for a small aviary or enclosure if I wanted to give the bird a nice place to be when there is nobody in the house (generally there is someone and if not it's only for a couple of hours at a time). The only things putting me off throwing myself into the deep end enthusiastically and actually getting a too are the warnings and the risk that getting a second-hand bird will mean potentially inheriting behaviour problems I'm not equipped to solve, at least not fast enough to stop them driving my partner up the wall :biggrin:
If you have your heart set on a too please rescue one...they are indeed very loving to much so really and very very challenging......babies will soon inherit these problems too Hun and go through extremely challenging times as they mature..?There bites are not like a grey bite, their beak do serious damage

I have three toos and all rescues all are fab with me but hate my husband with a passion....out if the two rescues I have very easily managed to pop a harness on and take them outside .... So don't rule out a rescue.....xxxx

Back
Top Bottom