Versa Larga Parrot Soaking Dinner

Lee

Yesterday I received my Versa Larga Soaking Parrot Dinner. I did not think it looked quite right when I opened it for some reason there seamed to be more corn than usual in it and then I noticed there where no red kidney beans in it. But there was Peanuts in the mix!

Please be aware if you have any the last thing anyone should be doing is soaking peanuts.

I am told by Scarlett who spoke to rep. That the peanuts where added by mistake.

However the mix appears to be still available to buy everywhere.

My concern is that if people do not notice then soaked peanuts can go mouldy and would be a potential threat to birds health.

Hope something is done about this and people are aware.

I was wondering the same... It appears still to be on sale everywhere.

I changed to the AS soaking mix and when soaked in water to my suprise a good handful of sunflower seeds and a couple of dried chilli's floated to the top, in addition to that I found a peanut in its SHELL in the bag.

None of which are listed in the ingredients.....

I am amazed at over the years how the quality of bird products as got. I do find it very hard to understand what the meaning of "tripple cleaned seed" means.

The usual reason given for these mistakes is that it is the end of a batch or the machine has not been cleaned properly!

I must order my seed then on the wrong day everytime...

The mix was put with peanuts accidentally, the machine tipped into the wrong batch.

They did apologise and a fresh batch is being produced.

I have no idea about other suppliers, whether they did anything about it.

Are people still able to buy this product..

I have not noticed a recall.

From that batch yes. VL themselves say their avian vet says it will not harm the birds, however, we have told them we will not sell it, therefore ours is off sale and only the next batch which is peanut free will be sold here.

There response then is very bad. I have a macaw that may have a peanut allergy and for the past year have made every effort to ensure that none of my birds eat peanuts shelled or not.

When you by a product that does not list peanuts on the ingredients then you simply do not expect them to be in it.

I wonder how they would react if it was me with a peanut allergy.

We are constantly being told that peanuts shelled or otherwise are not good for parrots and they are one of the major causes of aspergillosis. (generally cause by mold....mold being related to damp conditions) then I for one cannot understand how they can be safe in a soak mixture intentionally or not.

You don't expect peanuts and sunflower seed in a soaking mix, that's terrible. I got some from tidymix and it looks like mainly pulses.

I will look at tidymix in future, certainly won't be using Versa Laga.

Yeah it is bad, surely a recall should have been put in place!!! Soaking mixes are always a controversial subject, even with the tidymix one some say some of the beans should be boiled and not just soaked to make them safe....

I agree, however if done properly the benefits for birds are great.

This post is just to advise people to please check what is in your seed or soaking mixes.

It seem that some manufacturers seem not to be that concerned.

Back
Top Bottom