TinaW

Hi everyone, I am a new parrot owner, of 2 weeks, have George, a lovely blue fronted Amazon, new all help and information I can get. Am loving having this wonderful bird and want to make sure I can give him as good a life as I can :)

hi tina and welcome xxx

you will find a lot of info on this forum and everyone is very helpful xx

Hi Tina and welcome from me too

We have a few members with amazons so I'm sure if you have any questions then post up and I'm sure somebody will help you. We are a great friendly forum so join in and enjoy everything the forum and members have to offer

Julie

av you done your research on BLUE FRONT AMAZONS coz there very unpredictable and hormonal is it a boy or girl the way to a AMAZONS heart is his stomach they love there food AMAZONS are quite easy to predict eyes pinning tail fanned when there excited or aggressive never approach when like this. not trying to scare you but iv seen lots of AMAZONS being passed around coz of the misunderstandings of them there not for the faint hearted is it ur first bird

Last edited by a moderator:
George is about 5 months old Michael, thanks Krillier, its things like that I need to know so there are no 'mistakes'. At the moment he is very gentle and inquisitive :)

Sounds cute well you have got a wonderful bird but they do go through their stages and quite often become one person birds but also known to change their mind on who they like through different stages in their life. learn to read the moods by looking at the eyes. they love and need plenty of fruit in their diet. try to get as many members of your family to handle it whist it is young and although they can be tame and go on to hands they may not likt being stroked or tickled.

Thanks Michael, I try to give him loads of fresh fruit and veg. I try to get as many people as will do it to give him food..he defo knows who is wary and who is not!!

Well I noticed that you are keeping an eye on the other new member and his thread this is why it is better to try to keep him used to different people from the start.

Welcome!

Amazons are a hardy breed but can get aroused quite easily and become dangerous if you don't pick up on the signs. This should not be a worry. Experience will teach you do's and don'ts and you will have endless fun and enjoyment together.

As has already been mentioned they do like their food and will eat for England if given the chance, consequently, they are more prone to weight gain and obesity. I would not over do the fruit, as they have a sweet "tooth", but as a guide I would give 2/3 fresh veg to 1/3 fruit ratio plus a good quality seed/pellet mix. If you feed too much fruit they will just cherry pick the sugar and throw most of the rest out! Keep an eye on what is being eaten not necessarily what you put in front of him.

Keep him entertained and don't put up with too much naughtiness and you will both live happily ever after!

Welcome Tina. You will probably guess from my user name that I like Amazons! (Then there is a certain bird in my profile picture as well.)

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom