Log Burners- Safe?

Lisa7284

Sorry if this has been asked before. In our new home we have a lovely log burner in our downstairs sitting room (this is where Alfie lives and we spend most of our time). Whilst the days are still warm here the nights are cold. This evening we lit our first fire. I put Alfie's cage is a different room whilst we lit the fire. There was some smoke whilst we lit it but once we shut everything that stopped. There is still a slight smell of smoke.

Is this safe for Alfie? We only plan on lighting the fire in the evening and next time will open all the windows until the fire has been lit and everything is closed (so hopefully no smoke at all). Does anyone have experience of keeping parrots in the same room as log burners. I am not worried about the fire hazards as he will never be out of his cage whilst it is burning.

We have had one for 20yrs and it is used a lot in the winter. All okay. Do get a CO2 monitor though.

Thank you @dianaT there is no smoke smell in here now so I have brought him back in the room. It's nice for him as his room is nice and toastie. I did read up on them on the internet and people were saying they were fine but then others were coming on and saying they weren't.

Think the common sense angle would be to be sensible with what you burn and ensure the unit is inspected regularly. :)

on the first few times the fire is lit it is safer to have the birds away from the room as packing residue and cleaning and polishes may still be on a new fire

My two wee ones live in the lounge with a solid fuel stove. We never have smoke in the room but then we burn wood 90% of the time and it has been in 5 years now..

I'm also looking at a multicultural burner.
Is log safer for birds than smokeless briquettes? Or no difference?

Back
Top Bottom