I'm Stressing!

CaptainHowdy

Remy started heavy breathing last night, not all the time just when he'd been excited or trying to fly around. It lasted a couple of minutes then it stopped. By heavy breathing I mean I could hear him breathing.

This morning when I towelled him for his meds however he was looking like he was gasping trying to catch his breath.

I have caught him up and brought him inside, he is currently being steamed , but his breathing is really loud, I have a video I am uploading of it. After catching him up and when he is stressed it gets worse and he seems to gasp. Just resting though he acts normal but he is still breathing really loudly.

Nebuliser will be here tomorrow.

He started his antibiotics and antifungals on monday, is this something that has to run it's course before it's get better?

I don't want to rush him to the vet as he gets worse when stressed, but if needed I will email my vet and ask her opinion.

You suggested taking him into the bathroom on the other thread and turning on the shower so he can breath in the steam. I think that sounds a good idea and while he's doing that you can phone the vet and see what they say. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious but it's worth getting it checked out.
I tried that but it wasn't very effective so he's now im my room and I have a bowl I filling up with boiled water to keep it steamy in there for him.

You can just about see the steam in the vid clogging up the camera.

The trouble is, if he is breathing heavily the vets might admit him and put him in an oxygen chamber, I`m not saying I wouldn`t ever do that, but I have known that to stress them more and make it worse.

I would try calming the breathing at home, with steam from the kettle into a bowl of water near him.

Antibiotics and antifungals are a long term thing yes, and so is the nebulising, it`s no instand cure, it moistens the air sacks.

Maybe have a word with the vet and ask them?? Once his breathing calms further investigations might be necessary

The trouble is, if he is breathing heavily the vets might admit him and put him in an oxygen chamber, I`m not saying I wouldn`t ever do that, but I have known that to stress them more and make it worse.

I would try calming the breathing at home, with steam from the kettle into a bowl of water near him.

Antibiotics and antifungals are a long term thing yes, and so is the nebulising, it`s no instand cure, it moistens the air sacks.

Maybe have a word with the vet and ask them?? Once his breathing calms further investigations might be necessary
Thats my worry, I don't want to take him if it will stress him more. Plus if they are only going to do what I am doing there is no point I'd rather be able to keep my eyes on him myself as I know his behaviours more if you get my meaning?

He's tried to eat a pine nut I've given him but gave up on cracking it, he's still walking round his travel cage and exploring periodically.

Could I put some F10SC into the bowl with the boiled water for it to steam? Would this work like a nebuliser would till mine comes tomorrow?

Monday it seemed like it would be fairly easy to sort, she didn't seem to think it was anything serious or too serious I should say.

He's just had a good sneeze and his breathing did improve slightly for a while so I am thinking maybe he's just really clogged up, she did say he was a full of mucus. Been trying to call them but no answer yet.

Well yes, there is unlikely to be an 'instant cure' for this, so I personally (though it is only my personal opinion) would keep him at home and keep him calm. If he`s wandering around and eating that`s good.

His poo may go watery, that`s a stress response and should return to normal by tomorrow.

The F10 won`t work in boiling water, the steam itself should help though and yes, it could just be the congestion causing it.

Harleys breathing can be heard when he`s on a breathing do, which has happened 3 times in 8 months, other than that you can periodically hear him sound wheezy/snuffly for up to an hour at a time but not with every breath and no heavy chest movement.

Keep us updated on how he`s doing xx

Well yes, there is unlikely to be an 'instant cure' for this, so I personally (though it is only my personal opinion) would keep him at home and keep him calm. If he`s wandering around and eating that`s good.

His poo may go watery, that`s a stress response and should return to normal by tomorrow.

The F10 won`t work in boiling water, the steam itself should help though and yes, it could just be the congestion causing it.

Harleys breathing can be heard when he`s on a breathing do, which has happened 3 times in 8 months, other than that you can periodically hear him sound wheezy/snuffly for up to an hour at a time but not with every breath and no heavy chest movement.

Keep us updated on how he`s doing xx
Just took another video I'm going to upload.

He's still preening occasionally and having a bit of a sneeze every now and then. He is however now sitting by his water dish and does occasionally sit on one leg, tail bobbing which is to be expected witha  respiratory issue. Looks like he wants a nap tbh, keeps closing his eyes and going to settle down.

Try him with some soft food if he's not eating.
He's had some of his seed and he's taken some orange. Only tried orange as he loves the stuff.

Will soak up some food for him but he's not totally won over it yet so didn't want to stress him out more by not offering seed.

Its such a worry when our birds have breathing problems but it important that Remy dosnt get too stressed.  Try to theat as you would normaly do apart from meds off course.  The more a bird can relax the better, Its hard but we show our stress more than any bird does but they can sence it.  Their can be so many reasons for its heavy breathing but like all parrot owners we always think of the worst casses.  and try to protect them by changing the way Remy is treated may put more stress on.

That chest movement is still pronounced, and that does tire them a bit.

If he`s eating keep to what he`s used to, now is not the time to change food, it`s always a good sign that they eat.

If the chest isn`t back to normal by the morning I would phone the vets to be honest.

I'm glad he's eating Captain Howdy, that's good and one less thing to worry about.

To those who picked up on my comment, I said try the soft food "if he is not eating"  The only indication given about food prior to my comment was a failed attempt to eat a pine nut. That indicated a potentially very sick bird and with those symptoms and no food I would not be waiting, I'd be on the phone to the Vet straight away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just uploading another video.

Bit worried about giving him his meds in the morning tbh with how stressed he gets.

I have agree with Scarlett and Michael, but too be honest with you getting stressed then he'll sense it and that will not help, also is he used to you videoing him all the time? If not then that could potentially stress him more.

What's his poops like? Are there any bubbles? If so then that can be a sign of an infection.

My feelings are, go with your gut feeling as you know your bird best, if it's making you this worried then maybe it would be best to seek real Avian advice.

It's awful when something like this happens and such a worry ((hugs))

Julie

I have agree with Scarlett and Michael, but too be honest with you getting stressed then he'll sense it and that will not help, also is he used to you videoing him all the time? If not then that could potentially stress him more.

What's his poops like? Are there any bubbles? If so then that can be a sign of an infection.

My feelings are, go with your gut feeling as you know your bird best, if it's making you this worried then maybe it would be best to seek real Avian advice.

It's awful when something like this happens and such a worry ((hugs))

Julie
He's fine with the camera, I am always videoing my Fids.

No bubbles in poops, a bit watery and green which my vet said would be from stress.

He's in my room for the night anyway so I can keep an eye on him, will see how he is in the morning and might call the vet up before I medicate him.

OK, good luck and fingers crossed his breathing calms ((hugs))

Julie

Back
Top Bottom