New to having a proven pair grey

jonnyblue580

Registered
Hi my name is John I have experience in keeping greys as pets but never bought a proven pair to hopefully breed. They are currently in a cage in our conservatory after a long journey. Settled a lot better today there awaiting for my 12x8 aviary to be completed in the next 2 weeks. They will have a large area of shed for roosting and I will have it insulated. Any tips for keeping in cage while awaiting move to aviary. The male says a few words and is 7 years old female a growler box diver lol . Proven to produce fertile eggs just need help in what else I need on my path forwards thank you long intro I know but thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum. I personally have no experiences of greys but there are others here who do and it sounds as though you will have a lot of information to share.

Hi and welcome to the forum
Good feed protection from the weather keep stress levels down
If you have them indoors at the moment be very careful about just turning them out in to what is going to be a colder environment wait until it's a tad warmer.
I've always ensured they have a good bird bath as well they do appreciate having to be able to have a splash when they want.
Get yourself organised with a good brooder if you're going to have to be doing the rearing. Get a stash of hand rearing mix in you can keep it in the freezer for longer life. Oh and if you've never reared before get a feeding spoon not a syringe as feeding has to be be done exceptionally carefully by syrine and if you're inexperience you risk them aspirating the food and death is within about 20 seconds! by spoon they take it themselves and very little risk.I
Get a good avian vet sorted make sure they are disease tested parents. I am assuming your adults have their cites paperwork.
Hmmm let them settle it may take a bit for them to decide to breed after all the disturbance.
Once they go into their nest box leave them to it no messing around peeping. If anything fit a nest box camera inside it. Are you putting their nest box inside the aviary or inside the shed?

Thank you dizzyblue for all that advice nestboxes be going in the shed. The birds are in conservatory with a night time temp of around 6c here so will be around 13to 15c in conservatory is this ok ?. Female growls when l go in cage male is fine both perfect feather they have laid and produced babies in the past few years Im just so impatient lol can't wait to get them outside I've a large 10x8 shed I'm insulating a quarter with perches and nestbox in there. Rest of shed will be partioned as not to attract cold into there quarters. My next question and important is can they fly ok with being bred in large cages for last 3 years that is my main worry at moment.

Sounds like you got it nailed :thumbsup:
Cover the inside of the shed with wire mesh they are prolific chewers when in breeding mode! They will wreck it in no time!
Birds are athletes so no flying means muscle tone drops. The more exercise they are able to get the better they will tone themselves up, exercise is also great for them to clear their air sacs. If they can tone themselves back into flight mode they will. If they can't then they will get around anyway like climbing etc. Just make sure that they can't get grabbed from outside by a predator if they are climbing I have polycarbonate on my roof (bird flu protection) and sheets around the base to stop weasels, stoats, cats and rats from being able to have a go.
Hopefully your aviary base is solid to stop anything digging under the outside to get in.

Oh and hopefully you have a safe entry system double door kind of thing / safety porch to get in. Let's not have anybody making a dash for it!

Hi and welcome. Lots of good advice from dizzyblue. I’ve got my linnies inside for the winter but hoping to get them back into their aviary in the next month. I can’t wait either but the weather is the determining factor. Good luck

Just deciding on timber frame now bought the stainless steel half inch mesh, don't ask price 😆 30 metres. I think I'm going for white wood untreated was going CLS timber but has pesticide added. Any ideas on timber before I finally buy it appreciated.

Just deciding on timber frame now bought the stainless steel half inch mesh, don't ask price 😆 30 metres. I think I'm going for white wood untreated was going CLS timber but has pesticide added. Any ideas on timber before I finally buy it appreciated.
Can anyone advise @DizzyBlue

Back
Top Bottom