Is This Wood Ok?

Chigwell Ben

Hi all,

I have the cash to go and buy the framework for my cages and aviary and i have been looking for suitable wood. 

The cages will be inside my shed which i am going to insulate but of course the aviary will be coming off of the shed on the outside.

Is this wood ok? 

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Whitewood-PSE-44x44x2400mm-Pack-6/p/107036

It says its untreated softwood (whitewood) which i havent really heard of.

They also have this http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Redwood-PSE-44x44x2400mm-Pack-6/p/166373

which they call redwood and it says untreated pine

are the dimensions ok for a parrot aviary?

Once i have the wood, how do i treat it in a parrot safe way in order to stop it rotting since its outside?

Hi, you sound like you're being very productive! Personally I have no idea! Though I'm sure when others see this they'll be able to advise.

However, you can have aviaries made to your specification, others have done on here and been pleased with them if that's an option for you.

There will be many who are better qualified to comment on this subject but I will say that finding a parrot safe wood treatment is not easy [if I remember correctly from my research of such things] and you need to remember that wood can be chewed by some parrots...

I went for all aluminium panels :biggrin:    But then I am a girl and crap at building stuff :laugh:

Hi Chigwell, be careful of the pine as the sap is not good, also make sure that the wood you use is not pressure treated timber. Pressure treated means it has gone through a process of injection of preservatives.

that timber is fine for you to use...... as it is for interior use so no protection is used on it ............phil

I am using it to build cages inside my shed leading into large avaries which will be outside so they will need some kind of treatment to stop rot

hmmmm well if you intent to use treatment then you could reverse build the aviary....by that i mean wire on the inside and wood to the outside instead of the traditional way of putting framework to the interior and mesh to the exterior...and if you double wired it you would ensure that no raptors or cats etc can get at your birds.... reverse build means your flock has very very minimal access to chew any wood.

will try and find out which protection system for wood is recommended on parrot species flights etc... i have just gone on to aluminium aviaries...took me some saving up but i got there in the end :)

Reactions: Lou
I thought it was done that way anyway? I plan to use galvanised steel mesh on the inside and also for the cages. Can anyone recommend correct guage and wire spacing for pois?

I thought it was done that way anyway? I plan to use galvanised steel mesh on the inside and also for the cages. Can anyone recommend correct guage and wire spacing for pois?
I think 16gauge 1 x 0.5 inch is the usual but be warned they will wreck the wood even through the wire, my meyers would always work the wood around the staple until the staple came out so you are constantly going round repairing. I have had both meyers and brown heads destroy 19 gauge wire.

As others have said I would probably go for aluminium if I were you, more expensive at first but better in the long run and also easier to keep insect free by jet washing.

In my experience pressure treated wood is safe for birds, I have never had any problems with it with birds or rabbits who have all chewed it with no bad effects. That is only my experience, others may not agree. Also I believe any water based preservative is pet safe.

You could try one of the shows like Stafford its coming up soon you may be able to purchase your mesh there or alternatively i do know that the aviary manufacturers that exhibit often sell off their aviaries that they take with them at a cheaper price so they don't have to dismantle and take them home, you would just need to go a) early and b) have suitable transport to take something home :dntknw:

I'm buying the wood today and going to start building the framework. I have a week off so I'd like to get the mesh and make a start

Back
Top Bottom