Amazon Diet

parrotlove

hello my amazon just over 4 years old and he seems too be getting a  bit fat  so i just wanted too know what the best food for amazon too be on as i think he needs too lose a bit of weight 

Hi

What food does he have also have you weighed him.  The do tend to put on weight I have a B/F Amazon  who is very lazy.

Does your fly and what type of Ammie is he.

yes what kind of diet do you have him on? what level of activity does he get? I had a lazy red lored ammie when he came to us, so inactive and on an average pet shop seed mix too high in sunflower seeds, so we changed his diet, he like the others gets chop http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/chop.aspx, fruit and a mixture of AS30 and tidymix everyday with the supplement nutrobol (not given everyday though), at the moment I am also making bird friendly muffins with beaphar pellets in them for them to have once a week, I we also did ammie aerobics with him which involved him chasing me around the room as he isn't keen on me so this was good to wear him out a bit, now he is best friends with another one of our ammies this has helped as he wants to follow him everywhere and its also helped with him learning to fly which he isn't very good at

Last edited by a moderator:
hello my amazon is a blue fronted  and he dont fly not that he cant fly he just dont want to  he on tidy mix parrot seed and has  veg ect too  not sure what hes weight is   but ou can see he got bigger even my friend said when she came  ww he put  on weight 

Ah well typical B/F then.  Mine won't fly either, never really has bothered if he does its only downwards.  So.... if you can get him on the floor he may well charge around, mine is known to do that.   All mine have Tidymix plus plenty of fruit & veg daily.  So if he's on a good diet its the exercise that's needed.  Having said that my Tommy is now approx 31 or so.

they can be so lazy! well like Di said you'll have to encourage him to move abit more, charging around on the floor you could also get him to work for his food with foraging so he isn't just sat in one spot eating out of a bowel :)  or use food to get him to run around a bit more :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:laugh:   do you know that Tommys been out all afternoon just sitting on top of his cage having a nap! :nono: wouldn't even come and sit with me :dntknw:

Rocky my white fronted amazon wouldn't fly either unless his cage got accidentally bumped lol. I used to think something was wrong, but now I know it was just him probably being lazy x

Wish Angus was lazy and fat. He is in a real mood today, I was seeing to the wee birds and he ran along his rope and took a huge chunk out of my shoulder, well it felt like that.  It still hurts :cry:

Back
Top Bottom