Aviary set up outdoor

Mbirdz

Registered
Hi guys,

I am getting a pair of grey Africans and wnat to keep them outdoors in a shed/aviary.

Can I please see your set ups for ideas. I have been told wood may not be the best mateiral due to rats, so was thinking of having concrete slabs.

Pictures would be of great help!

They may possibly be breeding, so something that accommodates breeding box etc

I think for greys metal aviary is advisable otherwise they will destroy it. Certainly a hard concrete or flagged base. Also an indoor section. Don’t forget the double door/safety door is a must. Not had much experience from a greys POV but think the above are general guidelines

Hello and welcome
don't want to as they used to say teach my grandmother to suck eggs but not sure how much you know or don't know about breeding and rearing.
My aviary is aluminium sitting on a brick surround and onto a concrete floor. 10ft wide x 12ft long x 6ft high. Double wire meshed larger mesh to inside small square mesh to prevent rodents like mice getting in to the outside. Solid back and sides entry via my garage side door so no need for a safety porch my garage is that. Roof to stop any wild bird droppings due to bird flu getting is is double meshed and has polycarb roof sheeting on it great for winter insulation.
Sorry I don't put pictures up of my set up security always comes first for me and these days with the wonders of the internet making everything public including where you live its a nightmare.
Wood is ok if you wire mesh the inside and sink the mesh into the ground by a foot to stop anything tunnelling in. Making the floor hard standing easier to clean but not as nice for the birds you can use paving slabs. If your intending to breed your birds get cameras set up so your not disturbing them all the time way too tempting for first time breeders to keep looking!
If your a first time breeder your going to need a brooder, pop a stock of hand rearing mix in your freezer, your adults need to by Cites 10 certificated, dna sexed and disease tested buy a proven pair from a REPUTABLE known breeder. You will need leg rings for any chicks so that they can be registered - no paperwork its illegal to sell them and illegal to also buy them. Get the birds registered with an Avian (not a general or exotic) vet.
If your hoping to make money .... forget it rearing, set up etc you will be lucky to break even.
If your rearing for pleasure of rearing a bird .... prepare to get your mind blown they are nothing short of awesome, breath taking, ugly dinosaur looking then change like the ugly duckling in to beautiful sweet fluff balls!

Hi guys,

I am getting a pair of grey Africans and wnat to keep them outdoors in a shed/aviary.

Can I please see your set ups for ideas. I have been told wood may not be the best mateiral due to rats, so was thinking of having concrete slabs.

Pictures would be of great help!

They may possibly be breeding, so something that accommodates breeding box etc
Hello and welcome
don't want to as they used to say teach my grandmother to suck eggs but not sure how much you know or don't know about breeding and rearing.
My aviary is aluminium sitting on a brick surround and onto a concrete floor. 10ft wide x 12ft long x 6ft high. Double wire meshed larger mesh to inside small square mesh to prevent rodents like mice getting in to the outside. Solid back and sides entry via my garage side door so no need for a safety porch my garage is that. Roof to stop any wild bird droppings due to bird flu getting is is double meshed and has polycarb roof sheeting on it great for winter insulation.
Sorry I don't put pictures up of my set up security always comes first for me and these days with the wonders of the internet making everything public including where you live its a nightmare.
Wood is ok if you wire mesh the inside and sink the mesh into the ground by a foot to stop anything tunnelling in. Making the floor hard standing easier to clean but not as nice for the birds you can use paving slabs. If your intending to breed your birds get cameras set up so your not disturbing them all the time way too tempting for first time breeders to keep looking!
If your a first time breeder your going to need a brooder, pop a stock of hand rearing mix in your freezer, your adults need to by Cites 10 certificated, dna sexed and disease tested buy a proven pair from a REPUTABLE known breeder. You will need leg rings for any chicks so that they can be registered - no paperwork its illegal to sell them and illegal to also buy them. Get the birds registered with an Avian (not a general or exotic) vet.
If your hoping to make money .... forget it rearing, set up etc you will be lucky to break even.
If your rearing for pleasure of rearing a bird .... prepare to get your mind blown they are nothing short of awesome, breath taking, ugly dinosaur looking then change like the ugly duckling in to beautiful sweet fluff balls!
Hi,

Yes they come with cites and thanks for telling me the info about the rings on the babies. Did not know about that! Thanks for the help. It was informative.

Hello and welcome
Do you keep them outdoors every time? Also , isn’t rain, snow cold an issue for them or do you have a drying area for them too?

If you're intending to breed then it's not big enough especially if they are growlers (birds reared by parents and not tame)
Hand rears won't be an issue with out time but don't expect them to breed.
Outdoors 24/7/365 snow wind hail they are acclimatised to UK weather.

Anyway basic dimensions are 20 feet long by six wide by eight feet high, one third of which is largely enclosed and draft proof. I've added more windbreaks and rain cover (using clear corrugated sheets and wind-proof mesh) in the flight section and added a new top section, making it 10 feet high! It's all a bit crazy but I've found the more space the birds have, the more interesting their behaviour and the more I enjoy keeping them.

Back
Top Bottom