Losing Feathers

Gail121

Hi all, Skittles my pineapple conure has started losing feathers, he isn't plucking them out they seem to be just falling out. He hasn't got any bold patches so was just wandering if this is normal. He is only 6 months old.

Chiko lost a huge number of feathers and I have to say I was initially quite worried, but he seems to grow them back just as quickly as he lost them. I reckon we had enough to make a complete 'Chiko' and we have a little pot with some of his special yellow and red ones in!

Seems the first moult is a biggie and whilst he is still loosing some, it's slowed down a lot from what it was.

If you have a look at this thread you will see the sequence of the moult http://theparrotclub.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/feather-moulting-sequence.19741/
If your little one moults a particular feather in the left wing then within a day or two the exact same feather in the right wing should be moulted out too sort of like doing it in pairs :)
Pineapple conures usually have their first proper moult at 4 to 5 months of age so running slightly later than most but not by much so not an issue as it can be off set by daylight exposure, time when hatched etc etc

Back
Top Bottom