Young parrot diet help.

bytriqz

Registered
Hey, since I have gotten so much helpful advice before just thought I would ask. This is Tato munching on some apple she usually every day has some carrot, bell pepper, apple and broccoli. Problem is she barley touches any pellets so only really eats sunflower seeds any tips on helping ween her off this? Obviously circumstances at the moment mean it's harder for me to get anything new in.

Imgur link is for pictures since apparently my phone is too good xD even on lowest setting my files are too big

Michael Reynolds

I have never been able to persuade a Senegal to take to pellets, the dry feed I give mine is Johnson and Jeff lean and fit, no nut no sunflower mix. mine love there fruit and veg but also I do allow them Nuts shelled if possible, for a small bird mine can crack into a walnut or brazil nut and enjoy the challenge. I do put a few pellets in but normally they get rejected. ok your bird may be too young for the hard nuts (unless it came from Liverpool Ha Ha) yet but you should give her challenges and make her forage for her dry food

bytriqz

Registered
I have never been able to persuade a Senegal to take to pellets, the dry feed I give mine is Johnson and Jeff lean and fit, no nut no sunflower mix. mine love there fruit and veg but also I do allow them Nuts shelled if possible, for a small bird mine can crack into a walnut or brazil nut and enjoy the challenge. I do put a few pellets in but normally they get rejected. ok your bird may be too young for the hard nuts (unless it came from Liverpool Ha Ha) yet but you should give her challenges and make her forage for her dry food
Yeah I might just get a no sunflower mix to try it's a shame as pellets would be ideal but with veg it's not the end of the world any vegs yours like I've nit listed?

Oli Fry

Registered
Although my parrots are greys rather than Senegals, they all like Harrisons Power Treats which are a good addition to the diet and convenient to feed. I read somewhere that other African parrots take to them well. You could perhaps give these a go to supplement the balanced diet recommended above...

Oli Fry

Registered
Oh and if you soak or sprout the sunflower seed (or indeed safflower which simply replaces it in most low sunflower mixes but is not any more or less fattening), it is much better for her, as well as being tastier...
Lovely bird btw!

dianaT

Staff member
All mine have Tidymix parrot mix and seem to do well on it as well as dishes of various fruits & veg.
The Sennies seem to prefer more fruit that veg although do enjoy carrot and corn on the cob (or tinned sweetcorn)

Top Bottom