Young bird meet

Brayark

Registered
Hi all I was planning to visit tropicalbirdland but it was meant to rain all day so I I changed my plans and spent a lovely hour with a really nice lady, Who breeders and hand rears parrots who was recommended to me from a member on hear ..
All the birds were lovely and being able to handle a stroke some breeds I. Haven't met before has given me a much better idea of the bird that best suit me .
I visited with no true ideas on the parrot I wanted all I knew is I didn't want a grey or Orange wing Amazon .

From my research I was considering eclectus,, galah s, pionus, and another Amazon of a different species.

I was totally surprised at how small the galah s are I know they will still grow some but they full fledgling and starting to fly so probably close to full size and were stunning too look at and very friendly and for those that don't know there Feathers were lovely and soft .

I had the honour to meet and handly a wonderfully hyacinthinus macaw a total stunning bird but even at this young age a little large for me to be able to consider ever getting one but if I had the room they are a wonder.

I meet two lovely blue fronted Amazon's that I could of happily run off with they felt right in my arm and loved having a nice scratch and I feel I'm going to get another Amazon when the times right I loved all the birds but I just connect more with these lovely birds than any other I have meet to date I cannot explain or deny it .

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I am totally biased .... blue fronted amazons stole my heart many years ago when DizzyBlue came into my life after his passing I just couldn't even contemplate having another one ..... Couldn't bare to look at another. Then along came Alfie up for rehoming totally different in personality but still totally and utterly gorgeous, and that was it he moved right on in :)

I just love that waft of musky odour them emit when they try to romance you its a heady perfume that is wafted at their chosen one and only them its not constant just every now and then aroma. :hearts1:

It's lovely that you have a good time and got to handle and have a good look at different birds somehow it makes it a lot easier to decide on the species. Be warned though male amazons are a little more feisty than the females and come mating time when they are mature the morning ..... wail (all I can describe it as), and evening wail can be mind blowing loud but its just for a few minutes morning and bedtime.

Brayark

Registered
It was lovely I had been looking forward to visiting tropical birdland but planing or going Friday if wether is ok .

I was finding hard to know if I wanted another Amazon and was reading up on other species that might be a better match but having meet the birds i know the Amazon's stole my Hart when I was very young I grew up with a green cheek Amozon for the first 20 years of my life and my lovely orange wing has just strengthened that love of these birds

Lauraj

Hello! Don't want to jump in your thread but
For anyone who has been what is tropical bird land like? I have wanted to visit for a while because it sounds like my idea of heaven having so many parrots around me 😂
Are the birds in enclosures? Can you get close enough to appreciate the birds? We have a place up near me with enclosures with a few macaws however they don't get you near the enclosure so you just view them at a distance which is a bit rubbish!

Don't expect to be handling them or touching them but just wondered if you can fall in love with every bird up close 😂
The boyfriend has said he will only take me if we do not leave with me asking for any of the parrot breeds that they have haha!

Brayark

Registered
I haven't been yet but they just to let you handle some birds in the past but due to current conditions but still looks worth a visit to me
Update on Covid-19
To pre-book your tickets please click here: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/tropical-birdland

The team here at Tropical Birdland have been working hard to ensure the government guidance for keeping our staff and visitors is met to allow us to safely re-open our doors. An Online booking system is now live, with allocated time slots and limited availability. Please read below our guidelines for reopening.

Pre-Booking Tickets

Tropical Birdland will need to limit visitor numbers so in order to do this it will be essential that visitors pre-book their tickets online using ‘TicketSource’. This will include strict allocated time slots for arrivals and will help us to spread visitors out around the grounds. There will be a limit of 5 tickets per customer. Please note that if you turn up without a pre-booked ticket you will be refused entry.

Visiting us

Tropical Birdland asks that if visitors are not feeling well or showing any symptoms of Covid-19, a fever, dry cough, loss of taste or smell, muscle pain, headache or difficulty breathing, that they DO NOT visit the zoo. Please remain at home and follow government and NHS advice.

Face masks are not compulsory however some Tropical Birdland staff may opt to wear them.

Visitors are asked to adhere to government guidelines regarding hand washing and to use our hand / gel sanitisers where appropriate.

Around the Gardens

Tropical Birdland will be operating a one-way system around our gardens. Visitors will be required to follow social distancing rules and will be asked politely to keep their distance from any other household. Any persons not adhering to these rules will be asked to leave. Social distancing signage and marker flags will be placed around the gardens to help visitors with this.

Hand sanitising stations or dispensers will be placed around the gardens and visitors will be asked to use these where possible. Hand washing facilities are also available as well as toilet facilities and our cleaning schedules will increase to ensure these areas are kept as clean as possible.

Walk-in / through Aviaries

Our walk-in aviaries will be closed at this time, however our walk-through aviary will be open. Social distancing rules will still apply in these areas and signage will be placed around to encourage the 2-metre rule. The number of visitors will be limited in this areas. Hand Sanitising will be also be available.

Parrot Path

One of the main highlights and popular areas of Tropical Birdland is our Parrot Path / bird handling section. We have decided to open this section however there will be a limit as to how many visitors are in this area at any one time, and we will also impose a time restriction for this area. Staff members will be on hand.

Handling our parrots will NOT be allowed at this time.

Visitors to the Parrot Path area will be asked to wash their hands and sanitise before entering this area.

The Real Macaw Restaurant / Cafe

Our on-site restaurant / café will be operating a take-away service with a very limited menu. Please try to make payments using a contactless card where possible.

Visitors who bring in their own food will be able to eat these using benches around the gardens. We ask that all visitors take their own rubbish away with them where possible to help stop the spread of the virus.

Toilet Facilities

Toilet facilities will be available at Tropical Birdland and our staff will clean and check the toilets at regular intervals. We do ask however that all visitors be respectful to others and ensure that any toilets used are left in a satisfactory state for the next person to use. Handwashing and sanitising facilities will be available.

Gift Shop

We have decided to keep our gift shop closed at this time.

To book your tickets please visit: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/tropical-birdland

To our Sponsors

Sponsors do not need to pre-book, Just turn up with your valid sponsorship pass.

Brayark

Registered
Hi you might like Lincolnshire Wildlife park which used to be called the parrot zoo you might like. To visit. Lots of parrots rehomed into large aviary by species you can Feed nuts to them but you can't get close enough to scratch them anymore .
There are a few free on stands that may allow you to scratch then but only the cockatoo was interested in me .
They also have tiger's, meerkats, lions,otters and a few others.
There is a large walk in Avery with parakeets in, that will mob you for treats lol .
They are currently closed but worth a visit when they reopen .

Lauraj

Thank you for the reply!
Will certainly check that out, both are far from myself but as long as im going somewhere worth the day out i do not mind 😁

Brayark

Registered
I'm in grantham and I have a season ticket but I tend to spend only about 2 hours there when I visit but I like to support them as many are x pets and will talk to you and it's nice to know unwanted birds have this option .

Zoe220615

Sure i went to the parrot place your. talking about me an my children loved it loads of birds wanted a stroke threw the bars an when u walkedoff shouted to get you back was a really good day. Defo go friday if you get the chance.

Top Bottom