You Still Think You Might Want A Cockatoo?

Nikki h

Mother Hen
Just 22 seconds of the typical noise level in my house...Ofcourse this isn't constant all day long, but there are many hours away this noise level does....can you live with this?? Can your neighbours?? Please give it some thought before rushing in to get one of these beautiful birds....to many are passed around, because of the noise level and aggression.....and I will just add that my mollucan was fast asleep she didn't contribute here at all.....the higher pitched scream is from the smallest cockatoo the lesser sulpher!

Xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Julia

Archie nearly fell off his perch when he heard that! Its a bit like seagulls.

That hello was adorable.

dianaT

Staff member
:biggrin:   I still love toos though. :animated-parrot-image-0025:    And still miss our LSC.   But you need to live far away from anyone and have a family that can tolerate the noise. And what's more understand your bird(s).

Where we now live would be ideal, but hubby couldn't tolerate it. :dntknw: :biggrin:

Scarlett

Nope, I really couldn`t, that continuous tone would drive me mad.

A brilliant video, and you also would have to consider how that noise would affect other birds in your house, Harley freaked!!

Kendra

Oh dear, that is normal in our house around 6 o'clock with only 2 amazons and a patti contributing, the wee ones can hardly be heard.  Is there something wrong with my lot?  I would get a recording but have no idea how to :dntknw:

durbsguy

Molluccans are by far the worst offenders, you should have included them. I had a pair which were given to me as the owners couldn't handle the noise. Even our nearest neighbours 400m down the valley could hear them. They seemed to derive pleasure and increase the volume if you showed any annoyance. They started off as a hand reared breeding pair but did make excellent pets in my parents surgery. Where they had constantly had attention.

Lou

Nikki great to put that on here, shame Bonnie was asleep but it gives a great impression and  Gypsy is so beautiful she kept saying hello to me! loved her, they are a handful, I used to live down the road from a too and it was incredible, he lived on a holiday park and you could hear him all over it!!

Michael Reynolds

As you can imagine it can get quite loud when my flock get excited and decide to call have had guests that are Too's and yes they can have there moments.  the higher pitch of some of the smaller Too's and my sun conures can be a sound that goes strait through you especially if you are close to them.  Charlie my OW has a telephone call that can be heard a long way away but a least it was a call and not a scream. 

Bob

Bird Whisperer
Staff member
Admin
Zuri and Traff nearly jumped out of their skins when they heard this!!!!

Cheers Nikki, people should listen to this before deciding on taking on a Too, if more people realized before hand could save a lot of grief  :thumbsup:

Lisa7284

Lol- Alfie is now sat in front of the laptop cocking his head from one side to the other saying "O....O...O" :lol:

I most definitely could NOT cope with that noise no matter how amazing toos are.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Excellent Nikki :thumbsup:   as usual a brilliant bit of forethought by you giving others a sample of what goes on and what its like to live with a Too.

The reason Too's yell so loudly is that in the wild they often forage out of sight of their mates and since wild birds do huge distances to actually obtain their daily necessary variety intakes of foods they like to keep in tough with their mates thereby strengthening their pair bonding.

The Moluccans are the loudest of the Too's reaching a decibel level for a sustained period of time of 135db to put that into context a jet aeroplane at take off is hitting 140db at 25 meters away the human hearing pain threshold caused by noise is somewhere at 110-115db there after permanent damage to the human ear can be caused. :shock:

Ok there is something wrong with my flock they never reacted :dntknw:   perhaps it cos they are used to my noice levels pmsl

Reactions: Lou

Lou

do you just run around your house screaming Tasch! :laugh:  wow those decibel levels are crazy :shock:

Top Bottom