1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Ok help in identification required for this one.
    Looking in the tropical freshwater shrimp dudes tank this morning and thought what on earth is that!!
    It's strange ….. comes up and waves around and if anything like the Ramshorn snail gets too close it vanishes below the gravel and a few minutes later comes up and starts waving itself around again. been checking on it for the last couple of hours and it doesn't seem to move it seems to be in exactly the same place all the time.
    My tank has got copepods in it that I keep down with the water changes since taking the tetra out of the shrimp tank and putting them into their own tank these are more evident but then again my shrimp babies are also happy the tetra are elsewhere and have a bit of a population explosion going on :)
    Ok so any ideas what this is? Not even sure its actually a worm but for lack of any other idea of what to call it …. know its not a leech which is a good thing as those freak me out lol.
    Ok its to the left of the Ramshorn snail in the pictures attached. And I think (and only say think) that it is feeding on the copepods ….. The snail looks huge but its actually only about 1.5cm big so a dinky really lol.
    DSC02548.JPG DSC02547.JPG DSC02546.JPG
    @Yellowchickenparrot @pally @Heather2131 @Nigalius
    any anybody else who has or has had a tank really!
    Would like to know what it is doesn't seem to be bothering anybody just sits there waving and wafting and vanishing if anything comes close.

2. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Aquatic earthworm?
    It could be quite long under the gravel?

Ramshorm snails are so cute, are yours not breeding like mad? I managed to get rid of my ramshorn and bladder snails completely (and humanely) but now the tank is full of limpets!!! Id rather have the bladder and ramshorns back.

Think I'd cry if I found a worm like that in my tank haha
    Careful it doesnt eat your shrimp

3. DizzyBlue

Ok think I have the worm dude identified and none harmful to shrimp dudes but need somebody else to confirm it hoping yellowchickenparrot can confirm or reclassify....
    Naididae was known as a tubiflex worm. So an eater of any left over food. Hmmm need to vac the gravel leave the worm if he really is a none harmful worm and stop feeding so much!
    The Ramshorns are slow at the reproduction and I keep repopulating my step-dads pond with the snail population I just gather them up and pop them in to lower temperature water for a few days before adding to the pond and hey presto they seem quite happy. Step-dad is happy as they are helping clear his huge pond winner all round :)

Heather2131 likes this.
  4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Omg I would die I so dislike anything like that....sorry!:yikes:

Bug and DizzyBlue like this.
  5. DizzyBlue

Just found out he / she / it is going to be leaving …. rapidly as they can grow to 20cm in length!!! Currently just about 1.5cm :yikes:
    There just seems to be the one that I can see right at the front of the tank hence noticing it. The gravel well its actually really fine sand is about two 2cm deep but full of the plant roots as the plants are growing really well except for where the ruddy snails have had a pop at it!
    the joys NOT of shrimp keeping it would seem :watchout:

sunnyring likes this.
  6. DizzyBlue

Weird as I do a 25% water change weekly and am continually testing the water ph levels etc …. use RO with minerals?! Where on earth am I going wrong to have this dude appear! Obviously hitched a ride in on a plant or some such method.

7. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

Where do you get your plants from?

8. DizzyBlue

Haven't had any for ages so had to have come in a while ago. Last lot of plants were from a local aquarium place called Lincs Aquatics but as they buy them in in bulk probably came in from the supplier as a hitch hiker?!
    Popped in about and hour ago to ask the question about the little weirdo they said don't worry about it it's fine it's not bothering the shrimps. Easy to say if they don't freak you out a bit lol Haven't seen him out of the gravel for a while so he / it / she must be snoozing!

9. DizzyBlue

I don't like them either Diana but it's here now so am going to have to deal with it one way or another. Might give it a name to make me feel a bit better … perhaps Periscope? As in up periscope :risas3:

Bug and dianaT like this.
  10. Heather2131

Heather2131 Guest

I get plants from a seller on ebay who imports them and when they're imported they're washed in copper to get rid of anything like that
    Never had any little visitors like that in my goldfish tank.

But then I bought some java moss from a different seller and it had bladder, ramshorn and limpet eggs on and now the betta tanks infested, ive re done it twice, bleached and boiled everything and they still manage to take over
    Im always worried something new pops up

11. Parrot797

Parrot797 Regular Member

Worms of almost any species can survive all the attempts to kill them,hence birds also carry worms.However if found early enough they can be killed with drug treatment.

12. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Sorry a bit late on this post, errrrrr it's been a long time since I kept tropical fresh water fish. I can honestly say I never had a worm in my tank but I did have fairly big fish that would of ate it. Suppose it's some sort of aquatic worm but not sure sorry.

13. DizzyBlue

Can't use any treatments with copper in this tank as its a shrimp tank and copper would kill the shrimps. Paranoid as it is about PH levels, nitrate and ammonia levels hence using purchased RO mineralised water and doing minimum 25% water changes weekly. Currently have heaps of baby shrimps have another three females that are berries a blue bolt, blue velvet and a crystal. If it is a Naididae am thinking its anchored so in theory should be able to take out that section of substrate and remove said creature but as it's not harming the residents of the tank perhaps that's a bit harsh?

14. DizzyBlue

Haven't seen Periscope for ages and thought he may have died. Until 10 minutes ago when out of the corner of my eye there I see a little arm waving from exactly the same place as before lol
    Periscope hasn't grown any larger by the looks of the bit that is waving. Been searching on line for ages off and on seems there are only four well known tropical freshwater types of worms and little is known about them pondering if he's freshwater polychaete. Been reading that they feed on anything like plant debris and waste food that lands on the gravel or is in an under gravel filter which I don't have. By the looks of this little dude they don't travel far either never seen him wave from any other place in the tank and also have not seen any others just this one so perhaps a very solitary life he's living in there (which I think is a good thing don't want any more!!). Just seen a really tiny blue velvet shrimp go near him and thought oh no this is where you find out if he eats shrimps …. nope he just shot under the gravel and he's massive compared to a baby shrimp they are really tiny! Periscope seems to not like having any snails travel near him either and that means hiding in the gravel as well. Wonder how long they live?

Heather2131 likes this.
  15. DizzyBlue

I met Periscope the worm today for the first time properly... in his entirety so to speak.
    He was inside the filtration system …. ok I freaked out!! :yikes::yikes:
    Had to untangle him from the filter media he had woven himself through …. FECK ME he's grown!!
    He's a good 10cm long he's grown mahooosive!! :eek:
    Think he's going into competition with the Loch Ness Monster :emoji_scream:

Michael Reynolds, TomsMum and dianaT like this.
  16. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Lol.....No pic?

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  17. DizzyBlue

Taking a picture would have meant stopping running round the room like my shoes were on fire shrieking about trying not to hurt him while taking him out of the filter media and not wanting to throw the entire filter plug and all in to the tank and cover it up forever and never look again …. so no … no pictures … sorry :watchout: however next time I come across him I will remember you interest in his looks and ensure I send him to yours to visit :risas3:

Kehaar and Yellowchickenparrot like this.