1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wound On Bird.

Discussion in 'Health' started by Snowgal01, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Snowgal01

Snowgal01 Regular Member Registered

Hi all,

I posted about my Quaker parrot Snowy a few months ago, she’s been doing really well! However to my horror today I discovered a wound on her. She was having a bath in her big bowl and where her feathers were wet they parted to show the wound. It’s clotted but I have no idea where it’s from.

I feel awful!

At first I thought that maybe despite my best efforts of separating one of my cats had caught her with a claw but seems the wrong shape? Could she have done it to herself? But it’s rather large? She let me have a look and a gentle wipe with water and a cotton bud and obviously we’ll go to the vet but I guess I just wanted some reassurance before we got there.

Attached Files:

2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Poor Snowy, to me it looks like a wound from a cats claw and as you say she needs to see the vet before infection sets in. If you have some F10 then dilute it and dab the area to clean it, if not then mild warm salt water or a small dab of Savlon. Please let us know how she gets on.
    As you know cats can inflict awful wound on birds and often do kill them given the chance.

3. Snowgal01

Thank you for your reply. I feel utterly utterly awful. I have no idea when/how it might have happened. She still seems bright and alert and is eating so if it hadn’t been for having her bath I still wouldn’t know about it.

4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I will also think it is a woud from a cat and a cat may of cought the wing of your bird and your bird has stuggled to freee it self. if the wound has dried i will say you should be carful not to re open it but I will recomend vets as to be on the safe side they may give snowy some antibacterial medication

5. Snowgal01

I’ve been so careful to keep them separated and supervised, the only thing I can think is the cat caught her through the bars of the cage though I honestly can’t think when. I feel utterly wretched that this has happened. :confundio1:

6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Oh dear, poor Snowy...these things do happen.
    Do get to the vets as soon as you can, need to make sure it doesn’t become infected.