Worried...

Sandy Robinson

Registered
I've just joined and as you'll see from my intro - I have a 20 year old Brown Headed Parrot whom until 4 days ago I always thought was male. Now I have 2 eggs and a very lethargic and quiet (and obviously female) parrot.
I've given her scrambled egg with crushed shell - she's eating and drinking and she's pooping regularly.but not at all her usual loud boisterous self.
Her belly is still a bit stretched from the laying and quite warm to the touch.
What else can I do to help her/make her more comfortable?
Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I've not sought the vet yet as that in itself is stressful but I work from home so I'm keeping a close eye on her.
Thank you in advance.
Sandy

:welcome: from me and my flock.
Make sure you give her added calcium to her food either in powder or liquid form The Bird Care company are helpful and have a wide range of suitable products (as do other companies) When they lay eggs it depletes their calcium levels. I daresay she will lay a another egg or two. Where are the eggs? I guess they are not fertile? In my opinion she would probably be less stressed if you put a box in the cage even a cardboard one with some shredded paper or similar in then place the eggs in there as if you take them away she will be more stressed out and likely to try to lay more. After and if she sits on them for maybe a week or so you can begin to take one away and in the meantime buy some dummy parrot eggs of a similar size and replace them. I would guess she would eventually lose interest.

Hope this helps and I am sure other members will be along with advice.:thumbsup:

I would not move the eggs as they are not going to hatch I would leave them with her until she abandons them. Yes extra calcium during nesting. I do not know how she may take to a box being put in her cage for her to lay in with her eggs so if she seams happy I would just leave her as she is

I take it these are her first eggs?
I always though jasper was male too until a dna test and then two years ago she laid two eggs, she was quiet the day before and for about a week after, but all she did was sit and stare at the eggs, never bothered when i picked them up either. After ten days i removed them and she was fine. If your birdy is eating and drinking then i think she'll be fine, she probably is just tired due to laying, plus her age so please offer her the extra vitamins and calcium rich foods :besos:

Back
Top Bottom