Worried About My Budgie

BirbMumther

Registered
Hi everyone,
I am a first-time budgie owner and very worried about my almost 1-year-old budgie! He is a single budgie but I spend lots of time with him, I am gone about half the day on weekdays though; but my budgie has molted about 4 months ago, seemed fine, then about a month of no molting later most of his head feathers fell out and left him with just blood/pin feather spikes on his head. Once those had grown back, about 2 months after THAT, he started losing about a small palmful of feathers each day, no bald patches though. Then I found 2 tail feathers and a wing feather on the floor of his cage, he has only a few months ago grown those feathers! So basically, very irregular/strange molting, but he seems chirpy and normal, normal poop, normal appetite, so I'm wondering what could have caused this, could he be lonely and plucking his feathers, or something else?
Also, another question, would you recommend picking up and moving the cage about 10m while they're in it or is that not a good idea?
I can get photos if you want later.
Any advice would be great thanks! :emoji_slight_smile:

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hiya
Nothing to worry about there :) You wait till the first proper heavy moult when you think you can stuff a pillow case with all the feathers and you ponder if there are budgie parties going on while your not there because no way on earth can you think that all the feathers came from one small birdie :)

Michael Reynolds

Ok do not worry, budgies lose feathers regally, this time of year you will find feather coming off and new feathers replacing them. can I ask what are you feeding you budgie and what's its name we love photos

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
As for moving the cage … make sure all swinging toys are anchored so they don't swing and bump your little one, If its a really big cage make it a gentle move with a two person lift smooth without bumping and lots of chirpy chatter to your little one as you do it so its not stressful. Make sure that where you move the cage too there is a wall for it to go up against so little one feels secure. And remember just because you like where the cage is … doesn't always mean little one will like it but your birdie will tell you if they feel happy or not

Edited: If I could spell tonight I would be freaking dangerous!

Last edited:
Top Bottom