Work with birds?

Tonifrax

Hi,

Does anyone on here have a job that involves working with birds? Ive been a Chef for the past 5 years. I love it but its 12+ hour shifts, no breaks and a lot of stress. It became my whole life and without it I initially felt lost but I do not feel happy living that way anymore. I love my birds and Im so grateful for all the time we've been able to spend during lockdown. I left my job just before lockdown but there were times I'd be gone for 12+ hours, 5 days a week. Theyre a pair and had each other but I still felt guilty. I really don't think I want to go back to it for the sake of my own mental health and also my birds. Trying to figure out my next move which is both exciting and terrifying. I love birds, especially parrots and I wish I could do something that encorporates that

dianaT

Staff member
Have you any local zoos where you may be able to volunteer to being with then take it from there?

Tonifrax

Have you any local zoos where you may be able to volunteer to being with then take it from there?
I think the nearest zoo is Edinburgh as I live in aberdeenshire. I have thought I might have to move to broaden my horizons. Its a bit daunting not knowing what your next move is :bird_brain:

Michael Reynolds

This lockdown must have many wondering why they have worked so hard beforehand. I cannot blame your thoughts as to getting a more enjoyable employment and feeling more relaxed plus get paid for a job you will class more as a hobby. unfortunately jobs working with animals of any kind Can be very difficult to find. There are a lot of animal lovers wanting to get work with animals.

Working with birds Sounds a great job but it has its ups and downs and can involve so many other things and normally other animals. I was lucky as at the time I was more into raptors and flying and training them for other people. I was asked if I could join a team that did public displays for a privet collection, this I found brilliant as I was handling birds that I never could get and afford and also learning more about how to handle each species with staff that had experience over many years. most training was done in the evening away from the public. I also had my own company to run during the day.

Now I have always been one not to sleep much and this Allowed me to be available overnight, I was offered the work of looking after the Birds in the collection overnight this had many responsibilities. the range of birds that was on the facilities Some just on the grounds and others in aviaries, I will say it was not that easy and from one minute I may be hand feeding a young chick and in the next minute trying to distract a predator that decided to visit the premises. doing urgent repairs plus the security of such large grounds.

There was always something that needed doing and most nights I ended up quite tired. Although I did enjoy the work I was not having a lot of individual time with the parrots in the collection. If I wanted to spend quality time with bird I had to do that in my own time, the only difference is unlike the public I could go in the cages to interact.

Top Bottom