1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Word Association

Discussion in 'Parrot Media' started by MJGB - MikeJenGaryBeckyBoo, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Yesterday, after finishing his dinner, Gary was happily playing on the floor of his cage, using his discarded steel food bowl as a (rather loud) percussion instrument. He suddenly stopped, muttered to himself "drink o'water", and climbed up to actually have a drink!

I love it when they do or say something that makes total sense! How clever they are to learn word and sound association according to situations or mood. Like if he's in a naughty mood, he will announce his intentions by saying "Gary stop it! Ah ah! No! What ya doin'? Off!" Or another example, when he's tired or feeling cuddly he'll say "I love yoooou, can I have a kiss mwah!"

What sort of things do your parrots do?

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

2. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

MrP says "wun sum" which I presume means "want some" but his liverpool accent is so thick sometimes it hard to get your head around the drawl, generally if I have something that means I should be sharing.
    Alfie shouts "love you night night" ergo he wants to go to bed and that means everybody should be heading for bed and he's ever so punctual. If after a couple of minutes I'm not reacting fast enough or the others as still messing about he gets louder and louder until he's veritably yelling it at ear splitting level!
    Tuppy cracks me up she will say each of the others names and follows it up with "that's naughty stop, Tupsie good girl" which I can certify is a total lie she's a mischief maker.

3. Brilliant! They're great time keepers . Love the fact you've got a scouse parrot! Bebe has learnt new stuff with us, but her original repertoire is in a Scottish accent.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

cazimodo and Kendra like this.
  4. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

Scottish accents - Tommy has a really broad Aberdeen type accent which I presume she will never loose, she has not acquired any new words since she came, she has taught everyone else her words.

5. DizzyBlue

@MJGB - MikeJenGaryBeckyBoo … you haven't heard his tuneless singing!! There is only so many times in a day that you can listen to "You'll never walk alone" with varying parts just repeated over and over and over again like a broken record before the so called singing is deemed as a torture rather like water boarding and not singing :risas3:

6. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Jackie JJ çan recognise apple orange grape banana and peas and will ask for them although she missis out the g in grape, good morning and too night are said at the correct time by a few of the flock,

7. cazimodo

cazimodo Regular Member

My two will say "what's that?" in unison if they hear a new sound or you whistle a tune. If you give them something to eat that they really like they tell you it's "good".

They also tell each other to "step up" every time before they head bob at each other so they have taken that command from our language and turned its meaning into something else for themselves. Same thing with "come, come" which is Hahn's macaw for "bedtime" in my house. I am constantly amazed at how very clever they are.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

8. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Aaah, I dont think Dora will be a talker but she has her own peeeps and chunters that I recognise to mean she is ready for bed etc. However she understands a lot and we get by pretty well.

cazimodo and Kendra like this.
  9. DizzyBlue

I have to say I actually do love it when they speak in their own language :) love the little twitters, chunters and peeps
    Many a time I have logged onto those sites that have the recordings of birds in their natural environment doing their native parrot language to listen

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and cazimodo like this.
  10. DizzyBlue

@Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Does your little Dora do the singing tweets like the wild sennies do? Think they sound so sweet

11. Kendra

Kendra Regular Member

This made me think, the best talker in the Morvern Flock has to be Tommy, BFA, she has a very wide range of words and after 4 years is still coming out with new ones, all in the broad Scottish accent, yet she is tone deaf, really badly tone deaf. It does take a lot to encourage her to sing and the only way is to sing in tone deaf too.

12. cazimodo

cazimodo Regular Member

Ziggy also calls herself "Boo Boo". I think it comes from me asking her if she is my baby. When playing ceek-a-boo with her we always say "where's Ziggy?" and she responds with "where's Boo Boo?"

Kendra likes this.
  13. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

Yes she does, but only when she cannot see me, most of the time she is attached to me like a piece of velcro but if she is in her cage and I am busy elsewhere she does that lovely singing interspersed with some whistles and the occasional "youawrightbaby", (thats all she says) and if I cough she will cough too, and she will also make quacking sounds if we are laughing!!

cazimodo and DizzyBlue like this.
  14. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

It's when the five greys all start their different whistles and the comes the space ship and razor guns shooting its sounds more like star wars. Charlie always tell me his a naughty boy if he is but also tells me his a good boy if he is in a nice mood. A few of the flock willsay step up before they do No loves to copy my voice and say you stay as I open the front door,

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and cazimodo like this.
  15. cazimodo

cazimodo Regular Member

Ziggy just reminded me that she very helpfully says "poop" right after she does it

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe likes this.