Wood burning stove

L05tB0y

Registered
Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a wood stove but im unsure if it's ok for my African Grey.

We use one and all ok, make sure the bird is safe if any wood should smoke though also when you open the door to put more logs on. You may want to place a fire guard around it in case birdie gets too close though, ours don't but you never know.

Our only heating is via a woodstove. We don't allow Dora in the room until it is lit and burning well. She has never shown any indication of going near the stove either when lit or cold, but she is never alone in that room.
A newly installed burner will probably give off some fumes as the coating burns off (also woodburner cleaner will give off fumes) so air the room thoroughly when lit for the first time before your bird is allowed in the room. Also make sure your wood is dry (less than 20% humidity ) so buy from a good source that will guarantee dry wood. Also don't burn any wood (even as kindling) that might have been chemically treated and check that any wood you collect from the wild is safe to burn. For example don't burn laurel twigs as they give off fumes containing arsenic!
Having said all that enjoy your woodstove 😀

Lived in a house with a wood burning stove years ago. Had 2 dogs, 2 cats and 4 rabbits. They used to wrestle to see who could get closest. They'd settle down eventually, and there'd be a large furry pile of bodies where you couldn't tell what part belong to which animal. We had a guard for the stove, but they still managed to singe their whiskers!

Hopefully, as you care about your parrot you also care about the climate and the environment and the planet. Wood burning stoves are a significant contributor to CO2 in the atmosphere, so best to forget the idea of getting one.

Yeah, but a real fire is nice and cosy. Put one large log in there, close the vents and the heat that it radiated heated a 6 story Edwardian house all night so it was cheap to run too.

>> Yeah, but a real fire is nice and cosy. <<
Yeah, but a real fire that burns people's homes and kills wildlife isn't nice or cosy, and that's what climate change causes, so we have to change our thinking and stop having real fires, wood burning stoves and barbeques at home.

Do you have figures for the impact that these things have on the environment? Please share them.

I do my bit to take care of the environment. I do it quietly without feeling the need to tell other people what they should and shouldn't do.

We have wood burning stove for past 25yrs and there's not much choice living rural. We don't go abroad so no air flights, do not contribute to C02 in that respect, rarely travel far, recycle and reuse as much as we can and so forth. I think many of us are aware of taking care of the environment unlike so many other countries.

Do you have figures for the impact that these things have on the environment? Please share them.

I do my bit to take care of the environment. I do it quietly without feeling the need to tell other people what they should and shouldn't do.
To JackandRob: My original message was a response to the original poster. For some reason you decided to answer for them and argue. Of course I have figures, but I won't be contributing further to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom