When To

Yellowchickenparrot

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
When is best to add new birds to the aviary? What to do with nest boxes leave up take down add more to avoid fighting? I'm thinking of adding turquoise parrots in with my kaks? Good idea? Bad idea? Help from the experts required lol.

Mine is a mixed aviary of little dudes have cockatiels and budges in there with the kaks and to tell the truth … kaks have never been nasty to any of the others
Had zero cross species fighting. Have had mixed aviaries for nigh on 35 years now and as long as there is more than enough room and more than enough feed and water pots around and places to be out of each others way no issues.
Hmmm only had one issue I can think about … had those daft little quails running around in the bottom of the aviary once they caused chaos …. when they get upset or startled they take off vertically and usually don't stop until they bounce of the roof did kind of upset the tiels when things were exploding from the bottom of the aviary vertically at them. Quails were more noisy than all the others put together so they got moved out of the mixed aviary and into one of their own. Weird little feckers they are! I had a blonde moment knowing you can't keep chickens with aviary birds (chickens will catch kill and eat them!) so thought about having quail as clean up merchants for dropped seed ….. daftest idea I have ever had :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: had some dumb idea quail eggs would be nice …. they ain't … :yikes:

Turquoise and Kaks are fine together, I have had both living together, if you come across a unrelated pair of Jade turquoise please let me know, I have been after a pair for years. they are my favourite of the small grass parakeets. best time to introduce new birds is after there breeding time once the hormones have calmed. (Did you know they was once CITES L birds, I still have the paperwork for my pair Blue and Jade.

O no, my wife has been looking into Chinese quail for weeks and weeks. I'm going to have to let her have some as she lets me have all my toys and animals.

Back
Top Bottom