When should I let bobby out

Marcia

So I have had Bobby since Monday, for those of you already know and those of you that don't ....Bobby has previously not been out of his cage for a long time as his previous owner worked offshore and the female of the household was scared of him.

so far I can touch his foot but do I just let him out of his cage or try and teach him or re train him in the art of step up step down, some advice would be great. 

Have you got places he may fly to and land on like a parrot stand or Java tree.    If he's somewhere he can make to that will probably help him.

As to whether you try to teach him to step up first or not I cannot really say.

I think if it were me I would make sure all windows & doors are closed open his door and sit quietly and see what happens, but allow plenty of time as it may take a while to get him to go back in and that's no good if you are needing to go out!

He may not come out he may sit in his doorway and eye up the situation. :dntknw:

I hope other members come along with some more advice.

I agree with Diana.....that's how we've done it with our birds. We make sure that the blinds are drawn across so that they don't think the Windows are a through route, and put a cloth over the mirror as we had similar problems. Move anything valuable, and put a cloth on anything that you don't want them to land on particularly....Chiko thinks Mark's big wall clock is a good landing platform...and he's not supposed to, so a tea towel over it, indicates...no thank you! 

if he wasn't clipped when he was very little and was allowed to learn at a young age when they should then he will remember but as he has been locked in for a long time his chest muscles and his wing muscles will be very weak he will need to build himself up for any proper flying with twists and sharp turns etc you may well find a single straight line errr heading in a downward direction is the only thing he can do for a little while until his fitness returns and he gets his lungs and air sacs working properly along with building those chest muscles up :training1:

be sire to have a perch to hand just in case he crash lands and DO NOT make the mistake of dashing straight over to see how he is wait and count to 10 before you approach him so he knows its wasn't you that made him fall.  As tempting as it is to rush immediately to their aid just reign yourself back then check him out. Don't push him straight back in the cage allow him to have a sit on top of it or the door if he wants too. He hasn't been out in a very long time and he might fear going back in thinking he may not get out again :( poor little poppet. Remember to be fast on the reward for good behaviour and be careful you don't get a flying attack as unintentional as it maybe excitement at being let out again may get the better of him.

As Diana said make sure you have lots of time and your not wishing to be anywhere, make the room "parrot proof" nothing to knock over and frighten him, somewhere to land if necessary, windows and doors shut, mirrors covered sit back and watch....even if it means you sit there for an hour and he doesn't even peep out the door this has to be done in his time not yours, he needs to build confidence and courage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would open his door and let him decide, then see if he will step up, as he needs to be out of his cage to do this to start with. He will soon gain your trust :)

I would open his door. 

You may find he doesn't even come out to begin with. When I first bought my Bertie home he had been shut in his cage for a long time and wouldn't even come out to begin with but I just left the door open everyday and carried on as normal and he finally came out :) 

oh one last very very important thing when you do open the door make sure you have your phone ready to take piccies for us lot  :laugh:

TBH there's no right or wrong answer to the question only one way to find out and that's to go for it 

So am i. ..he's been locked up for far too long and I want him to know that here is different. ...

My friend is a carpenter and he's making me a perch out of an ash tree I cannot wait 

thats very kind of him :) hope he won't be gutted when/if Bobby makes it into match sticks!! Tell him he should be very proud to make something that has parrot approval if Bobby does decide to kill it its cos he really loves it!

oh yes to take time out to put yourself off guard as a bird and spend your time destroying things means your relaxed your having a good time and your also leaving those little feathers alone :)  

I suppose so.....well guess what I've had a major breakthrough. ...i provided bobby with some foot toys...They are just wooden blocks from his old toys and we'll I left one of the floor of the cage and the other I put on the nesting box 

I was sat here and heard a loud ching....so looked and bobby had retrieved tye smaller block off the top of the box and had dropped it. ...so I asked him if he wanted it back and he made a small noise so I opened the large door and retrieved it for him....offering it slowly to him...he took the block then promptly dropped it again so again I retrieve it (I figured he was testing me to see if I was good slave material)

And again i offered it to him but this time he nibbled it then lowered his head for a scratch which obviously I obliged...This happened twice and I'm so happy as this is surely a sign of trust as I was totally in his cage....my whole arm

I almost cried is that silly? ?? I'm so happy he likes me

Back
Top Bottom