What would you do?

PinkV

Registered
Hi everyone, I've posted about this recently, but we lost our Rosella Mally a few days ago. I'm still in shock and I don't think it's fully sunk in, but me and my partner are having a lot of trouble deciding whether to get an autopsy.

We don't have much money, the vet bills and cremation costs alone are going to set us back, so we're struggling on whether an autopsy is worth it. I already feel guilty, I feel like I ignored all the signs of sickness, I assumed they were behaviour changes because of the new bird we got. And by the time we got to the vet, they said it was too late, and they didn't bother doing tests because it was a lost cause.

Personally I would like to know what caused it, but, at the same time, I want to get all the arrangements over with so we can focus on healing. I can't even look at his cage, and some mornings I accidentally dish up his breakfast.

My partner wants to know, and says it's mainly because maybe we made a mistake somewhere, and we don't want to do it again with the baby with have left. I honestly don't know... I want to not feel this way anymore.

I don't know what to do but we need to decide tonight so I can email the vet and have it arranged... I just want to know, what would you do? Do you think it's worth it?

I'm so sorry, I hadn't seen the post on the other thread :( . Ultimately it's your choice, but I would also advise getting the tests done, it could put your mind at rest with the new birds health. I remember feeling guilty about losing one of our Parrotlets years ago, but we found out that nothing we did could have caused or stopped it. It helps you understand, or it helps you learn and fix things for another bird if necessary. Esma wasn't insured, so the credit card had quite a lot on it in vet bills too.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
So sorry for your loss fly free little one rainbow bridge awaits x 🌈
If you lost your little friend a few days ago unless he has been specially ........ sorry can't think of an easier way to say it ..... stored at the vets then the time for necropsy has unfortunately already past.

PinkV

Registered
Thank you everyone for your advice ♥ we decided to go ahead with the autopsy and they said it was aspergillus, a fungal infection that had progressed far enough to form a tumor... They said he'd most likely had it for many months and wouldn't have survived even if he'd made it through the first few hours of being stabalized.

It hasn't done much to make me feel better, but at least we know. They've also sent off some of his feathers for further tests, because apparently if the infection was only inside it should be fine, but if the infection is present on his feathers, there's a chance it could have infected our other bird.

I'm terrified of that being the case... I'm not even sure if that means mallys cage was also infected? His toys? I took down his cage, disinfecting it all the way, I took out his perches and toys and have them all in a bag right now... Taking down the cage was heart breaking...

Hopefully we won't have to worry about our Conure, getting to our vet is so difficult, it's honestly making me so anxious. If there's no one available to help us with a lift we end up paying £100 for a taxi, or taking 3 hours of public transport. I'd say it's finally motivation to get my license but I'd never be able to afford a car in our current situation... Organising cremation is so difficult too, the place we're going with seems really nice, and the price not too crazy... But it's another long trip to get there.

Sorry for the rant lol I've just never dealt with all this and I'm not doing great.

It's good that you now know, and hopefully the further test results will mean that your conure will be fine, but you're doing the right thing with all the cleaning and disinfecting to be on the safe side. I'm so sorry that you're having to go through all this, especially as you explain how difficult things are at the moment. It's never easy at the best of times. Apologies if you've already mentioned this in another thread, but it didn't sound like you had insurance for your birds? We didn't with our very first parrots and ended up with a lot on the credit card. It is well worth looking into it if you've not already, because although I do consider insurance to be a necessary evil, it does help a lot if you're ever stuck with a large vet bill. Thinking of you guys, keep going. :)

PinkV

Registered
It's good that you now know, and hopefully the further test results will mean that your conure will be fine, but you're doing the right thing with all the cleaning and disinfecting to be on the safe side. I'm so sorry that you're having to go through all this, especially as you explain how difficult things are at the moment. It's never easy at the best of times. Apologies if you've already mentioned this in another thread, but it didn't sound like you had insurance for your birds? We didn't with our very first parrots and ended up with a lot on the credit card. It is well worth looking into it if you've not already, because although I do consider insurance to be a necessary evil, it does help a lot if you're ever stuck with a large vet bill. Thinking of you guys, keep going. :)
Very true lol I had meant to take out insurance for the Rosella but I totally forgot :( we have insurance for our conure though, so that's less of a worry, we'll be okay, just a stressfuuuuul time 😔

Roz

So very for the loss of Mally. So sad.

I am surprised that the vet suggested it could be infectious. Aspergillosis is not contagious. Aspergillus spores are around us all the time in the atmosphere, but more prevalent in mouldy or damp areas (open dustbins, soil/compost, unclean cages, badly stored seed and peanuts). It is only if a bird's immune system is under par/weak or if they are exposed to a lot of spores for a long time that they are more likely to succumb to it. If your Conure is fit and healthy, there is no reason why he should get it. If the spores were on Mally's feathers, the air around him would have a higher percentage of spores, but again, if your Conure has no underlying illness he should be ok.

I'd get your Conure eating beta carotene (precursor to Vit A) rich foods (brightly coloured fruit and veggies like carrot, sweet potato, peppers, chilli, broccoli, papaya, mango, etc.) since Vit A is great for the immune system and it helps keep the mucus membranes in the respiratory system healthy.

Top Bottom