1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is This?

Discussion in 'Health' started by J Jay Ditchfield, Mar 15, 2019.

1. J Jay Ditchfield

J Jay Ditchfield Registered

Hi,
    I showered my African Grey, Jazz today as I noticed he hasn’t been showering himself for a while and I thought his feathers looked a bit greasy - after showering him (he loved it by the way) I noticed this just above his tail feather underneath some of his white back feathers and I don’t know what it is; I’m taking him to the vet for a proper diagnosis but does anyone have a clue what it is, or what I can do to help with it? I’ve looked all around the rest of his body and there doesn’t seem to be any more of it anywhere else - there seems to be a lot of casings where new tail feathers should be but maybe he’s scared to pull them off in case he’s in pain?
    Thanks,
    J :)
    B05C4AB0-C1D0-4C3B-9EFB-0126E32B20C8.jpeg 2096F515-075B-4735-BE66-AB300383D835.jpeg

2. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

Looks like the uropygial gland also known as the preen gland where the bird gets the oil it needs to protect it feathers from - has an infection of some type which can be cause by things like a lack of vitamin A in the diet but there are many reasons. Needs the infection sorting out and the cause that allowed the infection to take hold sorting ie probably antibiotics for the infection and then perhaps the diet sorting out. The diet bit we can help you with but only after you have been to the vets and gotten the proper diagnosis from the vet and the infection is being treated.
    A good avian vet should be able to diagnose the cause.
    @J Jay Ditchfield

3. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Do let us know how Jazz gets on .

J Jay Ditchfield likes this.
  4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and Welcome Jay J, I will agree with Dizzy it dose look like a slight infection but these are normally easy to treat and your bird will soon be back to full fitness.

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi and :welcome: to the forum....good advice from DizzyBlue, and veterinary assistance needed ASAP.

6. J Jay Ditchfield

J Jay Ditchfield Registered

Thank you everyone, I will keep you all updated! :)

plumsmum, Michael Reynolds and dianaT like this.
  7. plumsmum

plumsmum Regular Member

Please make sure that you use a qualified avian vet hun?