What Is This?

J Jay Ditchfield

Registered
Hi,
I showered my African Grey, Jazz today as I noticed he hasn’t been showering himself for a while and I thought his feathers looked a bit greasy - after showering him (he loved it by the way) I noticed this just above his tail feather underneath some of his white back feathers and I don’t know what it is; I’m taking him to the vet for a proper diagnosis but does anyone have a clue what it is, or what I can do to help with it? I’ve looked all around the rest of his body and there doesn’t seem to be any more of it anywhere else - there seems to be a lot of casings where new tail feathers should be but maybe he’s scared to pull them off in case he’s in pain?
Thanks,
J :)
B05C4AB0-C1D0-4C3B-9EFB-0126E32B20C8.jpeg 2096F515-075B-4735-BE66-AB300383D835.jpeg

Looks like the uropygial gland also known as the preen gland where the bird gets the oil it needs to protect it feathers from - has an infection of some type which can be cause by things like a lack of vitamin A in the diet but there are many reasons. Needs the infection sorting out and the cause that allowed the infection to take hold sorting ie probably antibiotics for the infection and then perhaps the diet sorting out. The diet bit we can help you with but only after you have been to the vets and gotten the proper diagnosis from the vet and the infection is being treated.
A good avian vet should be able to diagnose the cause.
@J Jay Ditchfield

Back
Top Bottom