1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weeping Willow

Discussion in 'Home and Environmental Hazards' started by Yellowchickenparrot, May 7, 2018.

1. Yellowchickenparrot

Yellowchickenparrot Regular Member

Weeping willow tree safe for avairy?

2. marley

marley Regular Member

I believe so yes

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yes the wood of willow is safe...
    But some sources note caution regarding the bark which contains salicin: similar to aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid).

4. Yellowchickenparrot

Err ok I'm not risking anything, any good things I could put in the aviary apart from bamboo

5. Roz

Roz Regular Member

What about a small apple tree? Although it might get trashed depending who's in the aviary! And grasses? I've got hanging baskets of strawberries, but nobirdie has investigated yet... thank goodness!

6. Yellowchickenparrot

Yeh grasses sound good but I will get some but need some high things

7. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Apple tree, pear tree (smaller cultivars).
    Willows get massive if you are talking of the proper weeping willow - they suck a lot of water out of the ground with their huge root system so best not plant too near a house.
    Callistemon (Bottlebrush): https://www.paramountplants.co.uk/plant/cl/callistemon-laevis.html exotic looking and safe - they don't get too large. Needs sun.
    Buddleja - comes in all different sizes from dwarf to 8+ foot tall. Fast growing - leaves, flowers and stems completely safe. Better in sun/part shade. Arching branches that would take being treated badly.
    Lilac is safe, but only flowers for a short time each year - get a small cultivar as they can become big trees. https://www.almanac.com/plant/lilacs
    Hibiscus is safe - pretty flowers - long flowering season. Sun.
    What about a small grape vine climbing up one side? Sun.
    Grasses mostly need sun, some species will grow in shade/semi shade.
    Bamboo will take shade.

TomsMum and Michael Reynolds like this.
  8. Yellowchickenparrot

Thanks Roz I'm off to the garden center

Roz and TomsMum like this.