Wednesday 7th August

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning, looks like sun & showers ahead with strong winds & heavy rain for the weekend, typical as family are coming down for 2 weeks. It did this last year at the same time when they came, they spent their first week camping closer to the beach but had to come stay here towards the end of that week due to storms. This year they are spending the whole 2 weeks here.
Well am off to get my claws clipped this morning which I thoroughly dislike.
Have a good day folks.

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
Well it's all kicking off down here as boardmadters which is a massive festival held on the cliff top near to where I live has been cancelled. It's taken the best part of a month to set up the grounds and all for nothing. There is mayhem down here as 50,000 people attend the event and about 20,000 are already here bursting the campsites. There is a lot of very angry festival goers.

Michael Reynolds

it dose not surprise me so many events are being stopped owing to one health and safety issue or another, some times I do wonder what new rules will be brought in, it would not surprise me if one day you will have to wear a life jacket just to sit on the toilet just in case you fall in. Have you ever had to change a light bulb from one hanging from the ceiling by it wire whilst on a ladder with only one hand as your other hand has to stay firmly on the ladder, Its not easy, there is more chance that things can go wrong as it leaves you up the ladder for a longer time, there is more chance of the bulb slipping from your hand that could fall and hit a person footing the ladder or nearby as the glass will shatter in all directions, you cannot properly check the fitting or cable for faults, even a test meter in this situation requires two hands to use properly. I do think that some rules go over the top and do not reflect the situation in many cases that common sense and knowledge should be what drives our safety and the safety of others. I am just thinking with this event what if the weather people got it wrong (I know they never get there predictions wrong do they) if an event is cancelled because it becomes dangerous not just prediction that I can understand but then they are still running the surfing event, do they mean lightning wont strike on water or a person on the top of a wave that can stick out like a lightning conductor well I have often seen lightning hitting water and lost my radio when lightning struck the mast of my boat whilst off the English coast. I am sorry H&S can get me very annoyed

cazimodo

Morning everyone. Aye, I saw that the festival was cancelled on the news. Also saw this:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/07/fossils-largest-parrot-ever-recorded-found-new-zealand-heracles-inexpectatus

Can you imagine cleaning up the poop from that guy? [emoji23]

Wet here again with more wet on the way. Ziggy, as well as plucking any new feathers that come in, has also now reduced her tail to half it's length by chewing the feathers off. She's been particularly bad over the past couple of days, and I can't blame Grant or the telly as neither have been near her. Seems that there really isn't a reason other than that she wants to do it. Strange, complicated birdie.

Have a lovely day y'all.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

cazimodo

I don't think it's so much H & S as the organisers being worried about being sued Michael. People are quick to litigate over the smallest thing in the hopes of getting a pay out and the ambulance chasing lawyers are happy to help. Whenever in doubt, follow the money...[emoji848]

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Decided to cycle up tot he village to book a table and vegetarian meal on Friday at the local bar/restaurant, but after 10 mins found ourselves sheltering from stair rod rain - didnt feel it was fair to continue and sit in the bar dripping so came home and will try again tomorrow. Dora happy to see us so quickly and had already found most of her hidden foraging treats.

Michael Reynolds

That's quite a find so Hercules is now the largest parrot known I just would not like him to be on my shoulder for too long. I agree cazimodo its all about money, saving high claims and putting the blame on someone. it reminds me of when Accident help line phoned me so I asked them to help me have an accident so I can make some money, there reply was there is no such thing as an accident some one is always to blame my thought is if there is no such thing as an accident then the word should be removed from the dictionary, by the way they could not advise my how I can make an accident happen so I can make money. I have not had a phone call from them since

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Afternoon all
I have just caused chaos in the village next door to me :risas3: driving along heading for home. Its a little village has traffic light road works at the moment can't go fast than 20mph. The young dipstick lad in the car in front of me is doing the big space and race forwards 50 yards to catch up to the car in front …. Obviously born without a brain! So he's being a right prat and he then hits a wood pigeon at the side of the road deliberately and carries on being a prat doesn't stop .... thinks its funny. :camper: So me being me …. just parked my car sideways across the road sticks my hazards on and leaps out and grabs still alive pigeon. The vets is 300 yards further along... so I pulls out past the idiot child in the car in front and the rest of the waiting traffic and swings into the vets car park and drops of said woody. Seems to have gotten away with just top of head damage to skin missing feathers and rather stunned. Vet is going to give him a once over plus shot of meds to counteract shock and after he's been in a box for an hour to calm him down will release him out the back door if he's good to go or put him to sleep if he's badly damaged.
Delivery done I leaps back in car and gets flashed straight out back into the waiting traffic waiting to clear the road works … to find daft prat is still the car in front of me..... didn't get far DOH! He's just found out he can't handle a car like he thinks he can. The old biddy with a pigeon soft spot in the car behind him just lived it large in her car further down the road. :rolleyes: Didn't spend my younger days throwing things down a dragstrip, plus doing car rallies and learn nothing.
Fingers crossed for woody. I know its only a wood pigeon but I was always taught you don't go doing crap like that, yes accidents can happen and if you can safely do so you don't leave something to suffer you stop or you go back and sort it out.
Mind you some of you long time members may remember the last time I went on pigeon rescue over in Whitby with a bit of rock climbing and falling event lol … ended up in hospital having my hand and tendons stitched back together :risas3: There's just something about pigeons I like.

Oooo I say a 7kg parrot that's like turkey sized :nut:

Kendra

Do others have the large blue rolls of paper for parrot waste cleaning etc? I had a new roll and put it on the side near Oscar, I had used a little so the end was hanging. Just been into the room and Oscar has managed to reach through his bars, must have used one of those long legs and pulled some into his cage. He did not stop there though, half the roll is inside his place, that is an awful lot of paper, reaches half way up, he does look pleased with himself.

Ararajuba

@Kendra - I remember our conure girls, when they were still almost babies, doing something similar with a large roll of deluxe toilet paper I had incautiously left on top of their cage after cleaning up some mess of theirs. Most of the roll ended up unwound in a heap inside the cage before anyone noticed - it only took them about 15 minutes, including the time it took them to tip it over (somehow) and align it with the bars so that the game could begin.

We've just found a way to surpass the normal parroty and child noise here by playing with brass instruments, having dug the wife's old trumpet and saxophone out of their boxes, where they have sat for a few years since last being played properly, and the corner where they have been for six months or so since we shifted them here from her parents' place. We were trying to decide whether she still wanted to play them, whether she even still wanted to keep them, and which, if either, would go with my harp, as we wanted to get her playing something that was suitable as accompaniment, so that we can play together here and maybe record some pieces, if the babies and pets ever give us five minutes peace.

Speaking of which, our big girl was very excited about seeing these new shiny objects, especially once she found that they could make loud exciting noises and had lots of buttons and sticking-out bits she could mess with if she was quick enough before we intercepted her sticky little ninja hands. She was particularly disappointed to discover that she was NOT allowed to insert things into the bell of the saxophone while Mummy was trying to play half-remembered things on it (it took a few tries with different objects, like a piece of cheese bread and a Masha doll, before she was convinced we were serious about this). She liked the trumpet almost as much, but was disappointed that going "Pfff" into the mouthpiece didn't do much, no matter how big a breath she took and how much effort she put in. Daddy on the other hand managed to make it emit a loud noise in several different but equally off-key pitches, vaguely reminiscent of a heavily amplified donkey's bray, if the donkey was about to expire at the time. (By which it may be gathered that I don't actually know how to play the thing!)

Our conclusion after an hour or two (till everyone ran out of breath) is that she may try playing the saxophone again, providing I can concoct or seek out suitable music that is more stimulating and fun to play than the band music she became bored with practicing a few years back. No one besides a little destructive girl has much enthusiasm for the trumpet however, so we may try to sell it or exchange it for something Mrs A finds more congenial. The sound of the sax is rather loud and harsh compared to the harp too, and I'm not sure they will harmonize very well (though she reckons she can play more delicately if in better practice, which may help). I don't think the piano would go much better with the kind of stuff we want to play even if we get it tuned (an operation which is about ten years overdue, which is why she hasn't been playing it much since we moved and have had it available). She has had some recent thoughts of taking up the cello, which is something she now rather wishes she had learned when younger instead of what she actually did learn - and I think it would go quite well with the harp compared to what we have - but decent ones seem to be rather expensive, they are not common instruments round here, and she's not sure about starting something completely new from scratch, so we shall see!

Last edited:
Top Bottom