Wednesday 3rd April

Nigalius

Madras
Morning All...

It feels pretty good this morning and not too cold. Trouble is its forecast to rain all day, not heavy but enough to get quite wet in it if you are out for long enough. But its not cold though so thats something to be thankful for.

Both birds are well and chirpy though right now they are both asleep (hopefully). I sometimes look at Roxy and so much wish he could fly. He would get such a kick out of life I feel but I think he has never flown so does not know any different. So long as I can give him a good standard of life and I think I do that it makes me happy and when the cages are open Nacho will always spend time feeding him. Also if I have the audacity to leave the room for anything you should hear the noise he can kick up. He lets me know in no uncertain terms that I am expected back soon with a treat.

As I have said several times I have a problem at the moment in swallowing many foods and several times in a day can easily get something caught in my throat. Well, last night I thought I would have some salmon. But as per often some got caught in my throat for a few minutes. I lost my rag and threw the lot in the bin. Nothing to eat since about 19.30. Well, this morning I feel top dog. Best morning I have felt for ages and it goes to show that eating late at night perhaps is not the best thing to do. To think there are probably 000's of times I have had a nice nosh up around midnight and had what is left for breakfast the next day. I'm getting low on the chop for the birds and have to make some soon. I'll get some ingredients to make one up next time I am in Tesco. I did find some that I had forgotten about when I defrosted the small freezer but its been in there like months and I dont think its worth taking a chance. Same with Palm Nuts, I found a large amount of them. How long will they last in the freezer?

Have a Great Wednesday Everyone. If you are feeling unwell, sit down, relax and get well soon.

Cheers

Nigel

Michael Reynolds

Good morning Nigel and all that follow, well My landlord made his first complaint about the birds making noise this morning, saying it woke them up. I was up by three o'clock getting this computer to reload and I could assure them it was not my birds. they are just starting to wake up in the bird room and the others are still quiet. I went out side to check but all I could hear was foxes crying like a baby. they said it was a loud alarm call, I wonder if some bird was in trouble outside. I assured them it was not my flock but I will say I was concerned yesterday as I had moved buster away from his normal cage while I am cleaning and repairing his cage but I will of herd him if he was calling. Have to go out this morning so I hope it stays dry for a short time as I will be taking the bike.
It looks like its going to be a wet day today but there was a heavy storm last night and plenty of thunder and lightning also the temperature has dropped quite a bit. Have a good day today every one and I hope those not feeling too good will fill better today. I am pulling Jackies cage apart today, its not a job I like doing as it is so heavy and large, there is no way I can move it when its in one piece far to heavy and I cannot get it through the door or even through the porch as it is so large and tall. it took me all day last time getting it apart cleaned and to set it up last time. made me ache for a few days,

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning, cold here and some wet snow falling. Still no heating and only hot water from the immersion heater which runs overnight. Going to get my claws clipped today!
Keep warm if you can everyone.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Morning all
Have no idea about life expectancy of frozen palm nuts … my lot won't touch them with a barge pole. Sliced sugar cane is another matter that bets trashed rather than eaten.
Bright blue sky over this side of england this morning but by heck its been a hard frost total white over rather refreshing really.
The aviary gang don't care about the frost and as soon as I put the fresh water into the bird bath everybody way trying to get in there … if you fill that thing up 10 times a day they are in it every time you fill it :thinking: hey ho who cares they're enjoying it so its all that counts.
Have noticed that since the charms of birds like goldfinch etc have paired off the wild ones seem to be feeding less in the garden must be territory driven or new availability of additional foods?
Am going to have a nosy on the satellite tags today at some point to see which bird is where and if everybody has finished their section of migration too or from the UK do find it fascinating as to how they plan their routes and if tis a group movement or individual flight path.
Bob said last week he tagged over a 100 whoopers heading off to their breeding grounds going to quite miss them do find them rather beautiful and elegant with the straight upright posture of the neck …
Hey ho onwards and upwards whatever your up to today stay warm and safe, and anybody who needs a healing hug they're free sing out and help yourself :)

ladyc

Good morning everyone. I hope you and your flocks are all well.
My blue and gold macaw passed away yesterday. She had birdie asthma and we always knew it would take her from us eventually. It was just such a shock and happened so quickly. We are beyond devastated. I have come down this morning to her empty cage. I can't function. She was our baby. I have never met another macaw like her. We have a pet funeral home coming to collect her this morning for cremation. I don't want her to go. I want her to come back to life! I am in bits.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Hello all,
Damp with more (welcome) rain forecast here, but not cold - sowed a lot of wildflower seeds in one part of the land yesterday - lots of bird seed plants all round the place now and it seems the land at the south has already been left to be a wildflower meadow in the past as its been flowering with all sorts fr a while now and more different flowers coming through all the time. Lots of bramble hedge and wild roses too, some flowers will be OK for Dora but obviously I will be careful to identify everything before offering it.

Palm nuts seem to last a long time in the freezer- Dora will eat one every few days so a pack last for ages, never tried sugar cane though - will have to source a french version of Scarletts as I am still relying on supplies being brought over from when my husband travels.

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Good morning everyone. I hope you and your flocks are all well.
My blue and gold macaw passed away yesterday. She had birdie asthma and we always knew it would take her from us eventually. It was just such a shock and happened so quickly. We are beyond devastated. I have come down this morning to her empty cage. I can't function. She was our baby. I have never met another macaw like her. We have a pet funeral home coming to collect her this morning for cremation. I don't want her to go. I want her to come back to life! I am in bits.
So sorry to hear of this, healing thoughts to you.xx

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
How beautiful it that woody :) get that birdie feeder topped up he/she obviously has a big belly if has scoffed that lot!

Top Bottom