Waxing Grates

Martin Dean

ive read on a website that if you wax the bars on a bird/parrot cage grate, then the birds poop doesn’t stick to it and it ends up on the newspaper on the tray below, is this true? If so what do I wax the bars with? Also would it be a danger for a kakariki as he likes to walk around on the grate?

Martin Dean

I don’t mean the bars on side or back of cage, mean on the grill at the bottom just so their poop slides off it?

Martin Dean

Just thought that the poop would slide through the grate this landing on the paper in the tray thus making the cleaning of the grate/grill much easier

RoyJess

ive read on a website that if you wax the bars on a bird/parrot cage grate, then the birds poop doesn’t stick to it and it ends up on the newspaper on the tray below, is this true? If so what do I wax the bars with? Also would it be a danger for a kakariki as he likes to walk around on the grate?
Do not use wax from what I'm aware, wax is poisonous to parrots?

Cover the grate/grill with newspaper then just roll it up saves all that cleaning.
I cover my grate with newspaper, my Ammie still forages on the bottom, no bother. I also use F10 and a product called poop off from Scarlett’s for cleaning his cage.
I agree with @Michael Reynolds don't put any wax on any parts of the cage. I use chip paper, it is nice big sheets. We put 7 layers on ours and then we take a layer off daily until clean day which is Friday.
Yes, I cover the grill, makes life so much easier just rolling up the paper.
As all the above say's cover your floor bars/grate with paper. As Jess say's (my wife) we use 7 layers of paper and it is easy just to remove a layer a day and when you get to the last layer, it's time to give the cage a full clean by using F10, or if really bad use Poop Off or what I do around this time of year (once a year) I shower the cage in our shower (or hose down in the garden)

As for our love birds, I just add a sheet of paper daily as they like to shred theirs.

Poop Off link https://www.northernparrots.com/poo...MI_6zBns714gIVb7ftCh3qYgNyEAQYASABEgL7EPD_BwE

Top Bottom