1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted: Maxamilian/blue Headed Pionus

Discussion in 'Parrot Breeders' started by chalemilywoo, Mar 9, 2018.

1. chalemilywoo

chalemilywoo Registered

Hi all,
    I'm new here and was hoping to get a bit of advice. My partner and I have done a tonne of research on what parrot to get as our first bird. We have got our hearts set on a maxamilian or blue headed pionus.

I've tried to contact a couple of breeders but haven't had much luck. I was wondering if anyone had any breeders they would recommend for pionus parrots. We would really like to visit a breeder and take a look at the birds. Any advice would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: We have had a couple of members fairly recently enquiring about Pionus parrots. @Roz has one.
    What part of the country are you in that may help members who may know of breeders. Also you may like to google The Parrot Society, they have a magazine that comes out monthly (you pay a reasonable sub for this) breeders UK wide advertise in there, also they do hold shows a few times a year.
  3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hi Charlotte and :welcome: to the forum.

If you do a search on Pionus on the forum, you’ll find a few similar posts of people asking about Breeders, some of those have links in. Babies aren’t usually available TIL later in the spring / early summer.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  4. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and Welcome. and good luck finding a pionus they are wonderful birds
    chalemilywoo likes this.
  5. chalemilywoo

chalemilywoo Registered

Thanks thats really helpful! I did wonder if spring might be a better time of year to look! I had a look on a couple of the threads but wanted to make sure I was getting up to date information. :)

6. Roz

Roz Regular Member

:welcome: Charlotte! Thanks for the tag, Di. Yes, we've had a few members recently searching for Maxi's or Blue-headed Pionus. Unfortunately all my breeder contacts no longer seem to be breeding them. As has been said, babies are usually available from late spring onwards. You might have to travel to find one. I had to travel to Yorkshire from London to get Kobe my Blue-headed. Keep Googling - that's how I eventually found Kobe very late in the season. You could maybe contact Riverside Aviaries to see if they will have any later in the season:

Beck's Bird Barn look to be having White-capped and Maximillan's soon:

7. chalemilywoo

chalemilywoo Registered

We're based in Essex but are happy to travel to meet the parrots! I will definitely take a look at The Parrot Society! Thank you! :)

8. chalemilywoo

chalemilywoo Registered

Oh nice thank you for that I'll take a look! I know my partner and I would be happy to travel that far to find the right bird. Yeah I think we just started looking in the wrong season!

9. Michael Reynolds

Have you thought of looking at bird shows? the PS have one at Lockmedow behind the Odeon in Maidstone Kent on Sunday morning.
  10. Roz

Roz Regular Member

chalemilywoo likes this.
  11. chalemilywoo

chalemilywoo Registered

Yeah that sounds like a really good idea I was just looking at the PS website. Will definitely try to get to that.

12. Michael Reynolds

There are many breeders and they are very helpful and have knowledge of other breeders and what the birds they have. I will be there not at a stool just visiting some of my friends a looking around.

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      File size:
      342.1 KB
    chalemilywoo likes this.