1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted: Hand Reared Baby Quaker

Discussion in 'For Sale and Bargain Links' started by Amy Smith, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Amy Smith

Amy Smith Registered

I wonder if anyone can please help me? I am looking for a hand reared baby Quaker parrot for my non verbal autistic daughter...apparently Quaker parrots make excellent therapy pets for children with autism and can help bring on speech. There are no breeders local to me in Bristol (UK) and due to caring for my daughter I don't want to travel too far, maybe a 1 hour drive tops. Can you by any chance recommend someone local to me? Thanks in advance!

2. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

Hello and welcome Amy, I am sorry i cannot help you as i do not know breeders your way, parrots can be great therapy and i wish you all the best in locating a Quaker

3. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Regular Member

Has your daughter been around these birds before? I know autism affects everyone differently and sometimes noise can be a trigger and Quakers can be particularly loud and piercing.

I have a friend who had a budgie for her autistic son. One he was fine with but they had to rehome the second one they got as he sadly couldn't cope with it.

Also remember that you can't have any scented candles, air freshness, sprays, Teflon coated items that could give off fumes etc etc as these can kill the bird.

Oh and welcome :)

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  4. Amy Smith

Amy Smith Registered

Thank you :) My dad has offered to travel to Birmingham to collect one from a well known breeder so we have just just paid the deposit. Very excited :) I will remove thread once I've replied to the other comments x

Michael Reynolds likes this.
  5. Amy Smith

Amy Smith Registered

Thank you for your advice. Yes I have done weeks of research as wanted to be certain. My daughter doesn't have an aversion to noises thankfully, otherwise would have been a big no no for us.
    I also researched regarding air fresheners etc...so I have actually made homemade cleaners, odour sprays using natural bird safe products and also removed all my teflon pans. I am a big researcher Haha! I know taking on a new pet, especially an exotic one is a massive commitment. So I wanted to be completely ready and prepared for our new addition :) thanks for your reply

CaptainHowdy likes this.
  6. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

7. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

good news thank you for letting us know,

8. Luna

Luna Registered

Hi
    I wanted a Quaker parrot and as I have a good pet shop local to me who sells and knows his birds, which he gets from known good breeders I asked him to get me one. I had to wait a few months but eventually he got one in for me. May be worth asking your local pet shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk