Wanted - Baby Quaker

Pandamin

Registered
Hey, I'm new here! I'm looking for a quaker breeder. I've always had cockateils throughout childhood, but now living alone I'd love some company and have decided a quaker would be ideal for me. My understanding is that pet shops are usually carrying aviary bred which can be troublesome. Therefore hoping that someone here can put me in contact with a quaker breeder or reliable pet shop ☺ thanks in advance.

dianaT

Staff member
:welcome:I am sure our members will be along and let you know if they have any idea where you may get one from. You may like to join the Parrot Society uk and for a yearly sub you receive their magazine full of information and where UK breeders of all types of parrots advertise. I hope this helps.
Also maybe attend some parrot shows you will get to meet folk there including breeders. Have a look at the list of events we know of so far for this year.

dianaT

Staff member
Have a look at parrots shows too as the parrot society hold those too.

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
Hi and welcome, I agree that aviary bred birds are normally not very hand tame and dont adapt to being cage bound. However dont be fooled thinking that a hand reared bird will be nice even though it's much more excepting of humans.

Pandamin

Registered
I know that no bird is guaranteed to be tame and friendly...but its got a better chance if its hand reared, right? Not only that, it means its started off its life being loved, which will continue when it comes home. I hate the thought that aviary birds aren't given the same attention and affection. But I'm open and willing to give either a home as I know they will be loved here no matter what.

CaptainHowdy

I know that no bird is guaranteed to be tame and friendly...but its got a better chance if its hand reared, right? Not only that, it means its started off its life being loved, which will continue when it comes home. I hate the thought that aviary birds aren't given the same attention and affection. But I'm open and willing to give either a home as I know they will be loved here no matter what.
I have aviary birds that I breed in individual cages. I handle the chicks daily from 2 weeks of age. I can assure you they're all given the same love and attention as my house birds.

I handrear chicks only to save their life. I have birds in my aviary that were handreared- you would never know as they are the most untame birds I have. I then have birds I handled only and they are tame as anything. I even have birds I took on as abused rescues who are tame with me.

Handreared does not equal handtame. Some people when they handrear they literally crop feed the babies and put them away until next feeding time.

Furthermore a handreared bird is far more likely to have behavioural problems as it doesn't always understand it's a bird. I have a rescue patty that was handreared and he is the most psychologically damaged bird I have. He used to scream and scream and scream if he wasn't being given undivided attention. You had to be looking at him and talking to him for him to be quiet. He came to me oven ready as he pulled all his feathers out due to stress. He attacks other birds. But sure when he wants to be he is sweet and cuddly with the humans. Or human that he decides is his favourite which is me. He's attacked my brother before for daring to walk near me.

You are better off eith a parent reared bird that has been handled daily from 2 weeks old. Do not buy a bird that is clipped as that's a classic trick to make you think it's tame.

Top Bottom