UV light

Tonifrax

Hi

Just installed a small UV light to my parrotlets cage. Im probably going to move it a bit to hide the wire better but is it okay like that? Also how long should I have it on for each day?
Thanks šŸ˜ŠIMG_20200625_111456_crop_70.jpg

General rules (only what i've read) the light should be directly above them to avoid it shinning directly into their eyes, also most have a recommended distance, something like 12" as the UV/UVB drops off quite quickly, im sure depending on what one you have (make/model) the info/packet will give you this distance.

Time wise most replicate the natural daylight hours as far as i know.

This is only my understanding and other will likely know more.

General rules (only what i've read) the light should be directly above them to avoid it shinning directly into their eyes, also most have a recommended distance, something like 12" as the UV/UVB drops off quite quickly, im sure depending on what one you have (make/model) the info/packet will give you this distance.

Time wise most replicate the natural daylight hours as far as i know.

This is only my understanding and other will likely know more.
Yeah I did read that somewhere but the picture on the box shows it attached to the side of the cage which is why i thought id ask šŸ˜•

I agree, it should be above the cage. I know you're going to hide the wires as best you can, but consider putting something else round them like a wire tidy or at least something as an extra layer for little (but extremely inquisitive) beaks to get through. Ours covertly bit through the mains lead in a very short time. That's the only issue I have with avian lights, the cords should be covrred in chainmail! ;)

Its the Arcadia mini uvb kit
some info.

"These lamps are not ā€˜tanning lampsā€™ and direct exposure to human skin should not be allowed. Birds should not be forced to sit more closely than 6ā€ between the birds head and the lamp. Birds should be able to move freely around the cage and to be able to ā€˜self-regulateā€™ their exposure between optimum light levels and shade. They may climb closer than the advised distance stipulated on the product, but this will only be for a few seconds and they will only be exposed to a level of UV or ā€˜UV Indexā€™ similar to midday daylight at this distance. There is very little risk to birds exploring their cages in a normal fashion."

"Bird lamps should always be placed directly over the birdā€™s cage and never fitted to the side, at eye level or at an angle. Please follow the fitting instructions properly to be certain that your bird is receiving optimum exposure."

if you'd like to read it all its here

Also an easy way to cover wires is to use a stainless shower pipe like this, take plug off, feed it through, job done.

some info.

"These lamps are not ā€˜tanning lampsā€™ and direct exposure to human skin should not be allowed. Birds should not be forced to sit more closely than 6ā€ between the birds head and the lamp. Birds should be able to move freely around the cage and to be able to ā€˜self-regulateā€™ their exposure between optimum light levels and shade. They may climb closer than the advised distance stipulated on the product, but this will only be for a few seconds and they will only be exposed to a level of UV or ā€˜UV Indexā€™ similar to midday daylight at this distance. There is very little risk to birds exploring their cages in a normal fashion."

"Bird lamps should always be placed directly over the birdā€™s cage and never fitted to the side, at eye level or at an angle. Please follow the fitting instructions properly to be certain that your bird is receiving optimum exposure."

if you'd like to read it all its here

Also an easy way to cover wires is to use a stainless shower pipe like this, take plug off, feed it through, job done.

Awesome, thanks! Darn there goes my tanning plans šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ ill set it up above the cage and see if i can get some of that shower pipe

All the pictures of the light in use show it stuck to side of the cage at the top which is very confusing considering it says it should be directly above, it came with very little instructions

All the pictures of the light in use show it stuck to side of the cage at the top which is very confusing considering it says it should be directly above, it came with very little instructions
I agree that the Arcadia website is extremely contradictory! Their statements on the website clearly say NOT to put the lamp on the side of the cage, yet the image on the exact same article have it on the side! :thinking::watchout: Pure muppetry.

I agree that the Arcadia website is extremely contradictory! Their statements on the website clearly say NOT to put the lamp on the side of the cage, yet the image on the exact same article have it on the side! :thinking::watchout: Pure muppetry.
Yeah, the light seems like a good light for what i require but there was barely any instruction and all of the images provided show it attached to the side. The screws provided as well are too small to hold the plastic bits for mounting it on something so i had to just use whatever screws i had lying around. Ive screwed it onto the shelf for the time being and i just need to see about tidying up the wires. My parrotlets dont really chew things but im just going to unplug it when they are out for now as they always just sit up in my curtains or play on their tree stand IMG_20200625_184435_compress18.jpg

@Tonifrax My little ones have a UV light but due to the type of cage they are in it has to be on the side, I only leave it on 2 - 6 hours daily at the most, as long as the room is light and they have an escape place.

All I would recommend is getting some natural perches, not bought but from a pollution free place, middle of a wood? Clean it up and pop in the cage, with the bark, they love to remove bark.

@Tonifrax My little ones have a UV light but due to the type of cage they are in it has to be on the side, I only leave it on 2 - 6 hours daily at the most, as long as the room is light and they have an escape place.

All I would recommend is getting some natural perches, not bought but from a pollution free place, middle of a wood? Clean it up and pop in the cage, with the bark, they love to remove bark.
Yeah i just ordered a new natural wood perch but Im also planning on making some too as they love the willow toy i made them. My parents live in a country estate so plenty of pollution free wood! Next time I'm visiting ill be sure to take some back for perches šŸ˜ŠThose orange perches in the cage arent good but ive just got them in until my new one arrives which should be tomorrow

Hi,
Will a daylight spectrum tube light (fluorescent replacement) be sufficient for my birds? They seem to do a good job for plants. I've got a fig tree that has grown about 3 ft, even living indoors.

It has to be specific for birds as they see in a special wave length of light plus the D3 emittance of the bulb has to be specific unlike a standard plant UV light also you need an anti flicker fitment for the tube to be in as standard fitment makes them flicker which we as humans cannot see the flicker but birds can,

Back
Top Bottom