Urgent Urgent

Carolyn_rio

I need help asap as I've posted dyson has been plucking for a couple of months I bought some sprays 1 for mites 1 to help stop plucking j got some vitamins to add to his water this help but recently he started again but worse then ever when I got hold tonight I noticed a hole on the back of his neck it' s about an inch high I can see inside and can see something whites with veins what can I do I Carnt get hold of any vets near me and I Carnt drive to get him to an emergency vet x any advice pleaseeee

Can you make him a temp collar to stop this injury increasing in the first instance? Where are you?

You certainly can't treat something that serious at home
Is there absolutely no way you can get him to an avian vet?

I'm calling all avian vets right now and ringing friends to take me but no luck so far

How could I make a collar what would be safe

A circle of stiffish fabric with a hole in the middle, would coffee machine filters work, several together create a thick enough barrier to stop any more injury? They need to be slit on one side you cannot just push over the birds head. How is he in himself now? I am sorry I am hours away or would drive you.

Yes he is but only for a minute then he stops for a few minutes at I'm sat here crying no vets near me do birds

hi Carolyn the first thing I must say if it is not bleeding then do not panic, if it is bleeding then put some flour on it. do not use the mite sprays. can you say where on the neck the hole is ? is it in reach of Dyson's beak? I am sorry for asking so many questions but I have had self mutilators. if it is not in reach of his beak then how is his claws? if they are quite sharp they may need trimming. Now what would I do well its an open wound and of course it can get infected but a avian vet can give medication to fight the infection and also deal with the wound. keep Dyson in the dark this will make him rest more so less likely to cause more damage. he will need to see an avian vet as soon as possible. something is irritating him or is causing him pain then birds are known to try to bite into the area to get to the pain so your vet will look into that and give the medication to stop the pain. Can you post a photo? I know I do not have to say this to you but for new keepers whom have a bird with an open wound , keep his home extra clean if possible spray with F10 or another bird friendly disinfectant.

I will not give extra vitamins unless I am instructed by my vet. Diet is very important and knowing your birds ability to absorb the correct amounts of vitamins this can be checked by a blood test. too much or too little of the correct nutrients can make all the difference and be the reason behind plucking. once the wound has healed spray him every other day , I use a small amount of Aloe Vera in every alternate spray, this may stop some irritation especially if new feather growth is present. Do you know Dyson's history> was he ever clipped ? dose he fly well? did something happen that may of caused the reason why he plucks?

Hi sorry I been on phone to vet last night and today he said to stop vitamins and sprays he said the same as Michael because it' not bleeding I don' need to panic he is sending me some fluid to clean the wound twice a day I have had him about 3 years he flys ok and I have trimmed his nails or beak as he has never done this before and never felt the need the stuff he sent was hibiscrub I'll get a photo now thanks everyone

I have seen injuries like this before I am surprised that the vet has not asked you to bring him in. I had a Jade turquoise parakeet that had a far worst injury but needed painkiller, antibiotics, and a get to help the wound. my jade recovered and managed to live a long life

Back
Top Bottom