Update 😔

JamesBrook1840

Registered
I had to leave home, so I left him there, my mother came at night and she picked him up, he didn't resist or do any noise, it was late, what does that mean? I'm afraid 😞
(He was out all day everyday, playing with me, being on my shoulder etc. And today this happened.)
(For those who don't know, it was time for bed, but he would step up, and when I went close to the cage, he'd fly away)

I have this performance every night with Lucy Macaw, she always decides that she wants to come on my shoulder when I go to put her to bed, just a parrot acting like a kid and wanting his own way.

Hey James
Just a question, does he get food and water from anywhere other than his cage? It may be an idea to only have food and water in his cage to Encourage Him to regularly return to eat and drink throughout the day, also when you give him his dinner just before roosting or any treats around the time you need him to go back inside his cage, then wait till he’s really hungry so that going back into his cage for the food Will be viewed positively in his mind. For my parrotlet I also try to make sure I stay around and talk and interact with him in his cage whilst he’s eating and getting ready to roost to further reinforce that positive experience. I also learnt the hard way that around roosting time, my guy is looking for a spot to roost, having him out too close to his bedtime can mean that he decides to roost in the room rather than in his cage. So i give him his dinner at least an hour and a half before his cage gets covered for the night. And once I close his door that’s it, he doesn’t come out that last hour even if he begs 😁. In the mean time I’m working on his recall And clicker training And always make sure him going back into his cage is a positive and safe experience for him. So that should something crop up and I need to return him suddenly he’s happy to go back inside.

Reactions: Roz
Great idea by Narley. With all my birds we have a bed time routine that involves treats. Whenever you put him in his cage make it reinforcing... the reinforcer can be a fresh food bowl, new toy, treats etc. Whatever is motivating for him.

With a bird that is not that tame it is better to provide food only in the cage, that way even if you aren't able to put him in yourself, he will go in when he is hungry. When you shut the cage door, make sure it is paired with something good... like food in his mouth, which may mean waiting a moment. If the closing door is paired with something good he won't be so concerned about the closing door next time.

my mother came at night and she picked him up, he didn't resist or do any noise, it was late, what does that mean?
He acted as he did because of learned helplessness, which means he knew he couldn't escape so gave up. Not the best way to earn trust, but sometimes we have to do something aversive when all other options have run out.

Back
Top Bottom