Tuesday 4th May

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning

After yesterdays awful weather today is sunny, not sure how long for though.

I bought a very nice Sunflower plant that I shall plant in a large pot, in hindsight should have bought a couple more. Runner beans beans are sprouting well but need to get bigger before they get planted into the 'Bean' bag. Rhubarb is surviving in the overgrown veggie plot as is the Blackcurrant bush.
That's about it for my news....hope someone else has some.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Very stormy here last night been raining majority of the day too.
Not a lot going on this neck of the woods just plodding along with household chores as usual.
Think the herring gull pair must be nesting. For a whole year I have been watching the two of them they're obviously a mated pair they never leave each other's side usually. At the moment the male comes and feeds then goes and within 7 minutes she's here feeding. The past year they have always travelled together fed together and any other birds turning up he chases them off while she feeds. Never thought that perhaps they pair up for life. Watching them all this time during lockdown has been an eye opener I have even learned a little gull lingo! I need to learn more about them and wonder if they successfully rear if they will bring their youngster (s) here .....

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Fast read up on the gulls and apparently they have set hunting territory and are monogamous if one batch of young have been successfully reared. Just been watching some herring gulls with trackers on them as to area that they claimed. Assumption is knowing a small area very well means easy forage and also a hierarchy. Lifespan into the 30's and beyond. Protected species that is red listed as endangered.

Top Bottom