Tuesday 24th September

Michael Reynolds

Good morning all, well its a very wet start to the day in Kent. Birds are all chirping away and the gang are busy racing each other. did not get as much done yesterday as I planned but I am having a full day indoors and with the flock. I hope you all stay dry as you can, have a good day every one

dianaT

Staff member
Good morning Michael and everyone, a very wet day here too it hasn't stopped rained all day yesterday as well.
I am planning to make pastry today to make meat pie and sausage rolls - so, will see how that goes.
Hope everyone has a good day - anyone doing anything interesting ?

Kendra

Lovely birds Michael, you have my Chorley's double in double!!

Very dull here and the birds are quiet, I think they want the radio on but it soon drives me mad, I usually suffer in the afternoons because it make them happy.

Must say @Michael Reynolds since you helped putting the cage in the wee ones have been a lot happier, chirping their little heads off when everyone is quiet. I do not understand it though, half the cage is totally unused and I still need some new ropes etc for them, ordered so hopefully here soon.

Michael Reynolds

Chorley is so much like Charlie in his ways, He is of similar Character as well and made me fill at home when he sat by me, Conker is behind she is not as forwards or as nosy as Charlie @Kendra , there be a few that will wish to hire extra help with the cleaning @Yellowchickenparrot I am pleased your bourk and cockatiel are happier in the bigger cage Kendra

Ararajuba

@Yellowchickenparrot - my eldest does that too! Mostly she seems to end up just shifting mess around, but I suppose it's the thought that counts!

The in-laws delivered a huge jackfruit from the tree in their garden the other day (I weighed it on the human scales as we didn't have a large enough kitchen scales, it came to 8.3 kilos). I didn't really want to deal with it as we are innundated with fruit already, but it was smelling ripe yesterday and they don't keep long, so rather than waste it all I decided to tackle the thing last night.

There was so much that our biggest pot (besides the pressure cooker) was overflowing even after eating plenty while I was opening it, and there was still more to go, so I had to eat the rest before throwing the inedible parts away; by the time it was finished I was thoroughly sick of jackfruit. Big daughter tried a piece and informed me that it was yucky, wife doesn't seem to want any at all, and last night's efforts caught up with my tummy today, so I don't know what to do with it all.

I filled a big plastic tub and put it in the freezer (the plan is to inflict it on the nephew when he comes, as he says he's never tried any, and for some reason, wants to), but there is still loads left, no more space in the freezer, and I don't know if I or my tummy can face even one more piece. It's hard to cook as it's fibrous and doesn't break down easily, and you don't really want large lumps of slimy fruit in most sweet recipes like jam and fruit pie. The same texture (fibrous+slimy) makes it difficult to cut up into smaller pieces too. I tried to get the in-laws to take some back but they didn't want any and looked rather horrified at the suggestion (maybe they opened one recently too and came to think better of it!). Any suggestions? I think I have at least a couple of kilos left!

Yellowchickenparrot

Staff member
Yes ararajuba she just pushes dirt around lol, my lab could of come in if he wanted but he wanted to watch me through the window to see when I got the food bowls. I am a big softy but ted has bad legs so he can't carry any extra weight so his legs last as long as possible.

Ararajuba

@dianaT - Not really, it has something like a generic tropical fruit odour. Although it can be quite aromatic when ripe, there's nothing particularly unpleasant about it. I think you might be confusing it with Durian, which is notorious for its sewage-like stink. A lot of people who are not familiar with these fruits seem to get them mixed up. They do look quite similar, especially before opening, though Durian is much smaller (if still rather large by fruit standards). Durian seems to be more of a SE Asian speciality though, which I've never seen here. It would probably grow, though I doubt many people would want to eat it as tastes are rather different here, which is presumably why I don't see any! I'm not sure whether I would want to try one if I did have the opportunity either, given what I've heard!

I think you probably could make a jam with jackfruit if you had the patience to cook it for an hour or more to try to get it to break down, or to cut the slippery pieces smaller beforehand. The problem is that I threw all the old jars out recently after asking myself rhetorically "Why are we collecting these things again? They're just cluttering the place up!" - besides which I'm not sure whether we know anyone who would be brave enough to eat the result, especially as it tends to go a not very appetizing brownish colour when cooked. Chutney would possibly work (it may get used for that in India where it is commonplace), but no-one here has heard of chutney, so if I suceeded in making any and actually finding something to put it in, we would definitely have to eat it ourselves!

Top Bottom