1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuesday 16th April

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigalius, Apr 16, 2019 at 7:18 AM.

1. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

Morning All...

Its a grey morning here but dry at the moment and no rain is forecast for today though that means nothing. 14.2c is not bad either with no heating. The SE wind is moderate and I understand others have had a lot worse.

The birds are fine and healthy but they will have to put up with me being away for about 3 hours while I am at the podiatrist. Thats why I like the idea of having 2 birds to keep each other company if I am away for three or so hours. The radio will be on low and i'll give them plenty of attention when I get back.

As I said I am going to the podiatrist for a 14.20 appointment today and then pop into Tesco for something I have never bought before, Soya Milk. I was talking to a friend on Facetime yesterday evening and he is into this stuff now, has not brought normal milk for weeks now. My main reason for not getting it before is I buy milk at 12 lts a time cos I hate running out of such a basic item and I always buy the blue top long life milk. Well, now that I find the soya milk has a long life as well I could well be interested so the one today will be a trial. I understand an almond taste is available as well but all I want is a taste that does not replicate the taste of sugar as especially sugar in tea is foul tasting, I would rather have a Marmite milkshake, :aaaaa:. Also. does this soya stuff make good froth on Latte's.

Just seen a wild bird. I dont think anyone can ID it cos I never had time for a photo. But I will try to describe what I saw. It was a similar colour to a sparrow, dullish, and perhaps a little smaller. It was on its own for a few seconds but what struck me was the beak, it was a typical finches beak, much more of a slim beak. It was defo not a Goldie or Greenie or a Blue or Green Tit. I just wonder if by my vague description anyone has an idea of what it might be?

Have a Great Tuesday Everyone and to all those not well, remember, Summer is getting closer.

Cheers

Nigel

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe likes this.
  2. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

3. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

@Nigalius I don’t use Soya milk, but I do have Almond Plenish on my cereal, Roz recommended it to me. I did try Alpro Almond but the was horrid in comparison. But I’m a tea drinker so still have dairy milk for tea, or green or white tea without milk, I’m not a coffee drinker so no idea about your froth question,

4. cazimodo

cazimodo Regular Member

Afternoon everyone. I'd just like to point out that today is Tuesday :)
    Hope everyone has a lovely day further.

dianaT likes this.
  5. JackH91

JackH91 Regular Member

Good afternoon all,

It’s a week of night shifts for me this week so I haven’t long been awake. I haven’t had dairy milk for years Nigel, I always find that most people’s preferences are slightly different with the plant milks. I like to have oat milk on my cereals but will tolerate both almond and soy too. I tend to just have herbal teas but with coffee I have either vanilla soy or almond/oat milk and all will froth. They will curdle in coffee unless you heat them up first.

Hope everyone has a good day

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe and dianaT like this.
  6. TomsMum

Thanks Caz...it’s that Nigel confusing us again!

Nigalius, cazimodo and dianaT like this.
  7. Nigalius

Nigalius Madras Regular Member

OOOOPSSS..... I see it shows as Tuesday now so whoever changed it thanks. Problem is every day here is like the previous day, it just ends in a 'Y'. But its unusual for me to mess it up on a day I have an appointment as I usually have a day in mind.

cazimodo likes this.
  8. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

Is there a safe soft wood I can buy from b&q that the birds will find easy to shred to pieces?

I think ive seen it mentioned here which is why I'm asking, thought I could cut it up into pieces and drill to make my own toys for them, some wood is just too hard and no fun for them

9. TomsMum

Untreated pine cut into thin slats.. in or if you wa ned softer wood then untreated balsa, you might need a modelling shop for that or on line.

Heather2131 likes this.
  10. Wendy Cooper-Wolfe

Wendy Cooper-Wolfe Regular Member Registered

I use an unsweetened soya milk in tea and on cereal, (its usually the cheapest one on the shelf too) dont use it in coffee but I believe the coffee shops do a frothy coffee with soya so possibly can make it at home.

11. Heather2131

Heather2131 Regular Member

@Nigalius Ive found oatly oat milk to be the best and they do a latte version that adds a foam to your coffee but can also use that version on cereal etc too
    Can't stand soya taste or almond

Oli Fry likes this.
  12. Oli Fry

Oli Fry Regular Member Registered

Me too. The parrots like it too.

13. Michael Reynolds

Michael Reynolds Regular Member

I think I am with you on the milk side Heather