Training max the derbyan parakeet

Cwood

Registered
Hello I have female derbyan parakeet and I’ve been training her recall last few weeks and she was doing really well but last few days it seems like she lost interest and only recalls few times am I over doing it by trying to train her every day should I give her a break?
I was thinking of taking her food dish out and training her before breakfast to see if she will give me better results than what I been getting . Is this good idea

Zoe220615

Miss Marple
I always get results training in short bursts. Here an there threwout the day. Dont make it to long 5-10 mins here an there. But @Roz is the lady to talk to for training!

Roz

It sounds like recall is no longer so reinforcing for her. Think about how to make the sessions more reinforcing. I am guessing you are using food as a reinforcer since you are thinking of training her before breakfast?

She may be getting bored if you are asking her to recall over and over, so change things up - ask her to recall one time - treat, then ask her to target - treat, then turn a circle - treat, etc.... Make the sessions interesting and fun and as Zoe said, short! Stop WAY before she gets bored. Have a few very short sessions through the day rather than one l-o-n-g session.

Change up the reinforcer - choose a few different favourite items and change them up so she doesn't know what she is going to get, eg. a piece of nut one time, a pea the next etc.

Try adding more reinforcement - eg. recall, treat, then add more reinforcement, say, by taking her over to a window to see what's going on outside (if that is reinforcing for her). Make it absolutely worth her while flying over to you.

Tonifrax

Agent Scully
My grey is the same. He knows how to do it and he loves being on me... Can usually never get him off 😂 He used to do it but I think after a while it stops being worth it. I think he knows that if he flies to me then he just goes back to his perch and has to do it again... No thanks, he just did that and then I took him off! How dare I!? :yikes:Then he has to do it again... Nooo way! 🙅🏻‍♀️ Hes become super cheeky about it too. I'll call him and he will make a fart noise or something funny and its rather sassy :risas3: He also knows that Ive broken his reward(a pistachio) into smaller pieces and theres no way he's flying all that way for a crumb!!! 😂 They are so smart. I started teaching him to step down because at times it was becoming difficult to get him to step off of me and I'd take him to the perch on his cage door, say step down, click and give him a piece of pistachio... Well then what he did was he put one foot down onto the perch and held onto my jumper with the other foot so that he could try get his treat then get back to my arm 🤣 I usually keep his training sessions short, do it in a different room from time to time, sometimes offer larger pieces of treats being careful im not going crazy with high fat treats! He always flies to me outside of training sessions because he constantly wants to be with me so sometimes i let him stay on longer before asking him to step down again because being allowed to stay on me seems to be a strong reinforcer for him

Cwood

Registered
It sounds like recall is no longer so reinforcing for her. Think about how to make the sessions more reinforcing. I am guessing you are using food as a reinforcer since you are thinking of training her before breakfast?

She may be getting bored if you are asking her to recall over and over, so change things up - ask her to recall one time - treat, then ask her to target - treat, then turn a circle - treat, etc.... Make the sessions interesting and fun and as Zoe said, short! Stop WAY before she gets bored. Have a few very short sessions through the day rather than one l-o-n-g session.

Change up the reinforcer - choose a few different favourite items and change them up so she doesn't know what she is going to get, eg. a piece of nut one time, a pea the next etc.

Try adding more reinforcement - eg. recall, treat, then add more reinforcement, say, by taking her over to a window to see what's going on outside (if that is reinforcing for her). Make it absolutely worth her while flying over to you.
Irl give it a go thank you

Reactions: Roz

Cwood

Registered
My grey is the same. He knows how to do it and he loves being on me... Can usually never get him off 😂 He used to do it but I think after a while it stops being worth it. I think he knows that if he flies to me then he just goes back to his perch and has to do it again... No thanks, he just did that and then I took him off! How dare I!? :yikes:Then he has to do it again... Nooo way! 🙅🏻‍♀️ Hes become super cheeky about it too. I'll call him and he will make a fart noise or something funny and its rather sassy :risas3: He also knows that Ive broken his reward(a pistachio) into smaller pieces and theres no way he's flying all that way for a crumb!!! 😂 They are so smart. I started teaching him to step down because at times it was becoming difficult to get him to step off of me and I'd take him to the perch on his cage door, say step down, click and give him a piece of pistachio... Well then what he did was he put one foot down onto the perch and held onto my jumper with the other foot so that he could try get his treat then get back to my arm 🤣 I usually keep his training sessions short, do it in a different room from time to time, sometimes offer larger pieces of treats being careful im not going crazy with high fat treats! He always flies to me outside of training sessions because he constantly wants to be with me so sometimes i let him stay on longer before asking him to step down again because being allowed to stay on me seems to be a strong reinforcer for him
Cheers for the advice I will take it in mind, I’m going to try the training session in a different room

Top Bottom