too attached?

crybend

Registered
hello everyone, I hope your day is going well.

I have had my conure for a week now (He is 11 weeks old) and so far it has been super great. I adore him, and I think we have bonded together quite quickly. My question is; is it normal for a bird to not be content unless they are on you? Perhaps I am worrying over nothing but I cant tell if his attachment to me is.. too much? he doesnt play with any of his toys (I have tried many different kinds, but he only seems interested in the bumper bell in his cage) and I read a lot about how important toys were for birds before getting him. I spend a lot of time at my computer at home (I work in animation) so if its normal that is okay but I just worry that I am doing something wrong. I have tried setting him down and playing with his toys with him but he just doesnt seem interested. I have a couple perches set around the room and a minute after setting him down he flies back over to me. Is he just a clingy bird?

He also naps a lot, which again, Im not sure if thats normal. When I got him he was on a seed diet, which I have managed to change him to a pellet diet (and a lot of veggies)- I thought it might help with his energy but so far he still seems to still nap a couple times a day. Is that okay?

A hand reared bird will be used to being with humans so stop make time to be with him and play etc. Then each time make the gap a little longer before you go play again, if that's what you wish to do. I guess many would feel honoured thier parrot wants to be with them so much though. Yes napping a lot is expected he is still young.
Lets see what others advise.

A hand reared bird will be used to being with humans so stop make time to be with him and play etc. Then each time make the gap a little longer before you go play again, if that's what you wish to do. I guess many would feel honoured thier parrot wants to be with them so much though. Yes napping a lot is expected he is still young.
Lets see what others advise.
thankyou for the advice!
dont worry, I dont take his clingy-ness for granted. I love that he wants to spend time with me! I was just worried that it may of meant I was doing something wrong haha.

Is he out of his cage all day? You may like to pop him back in now & then for rest time.

Can't add to what Diana has already said :) great advice given
But o remember there will come a time in the next two to three months .... when just like a human child the boundaries will be pushed just to see how far he/she can go and get away with.
Lots of variety in food stuffs veggies and fruit us humans have a nasty habit of feeding what we ourselves prefer and so the diet does get limited.
Always double check what your feeding though is allowed are there are some massive no-no's that can harm our feathered friends. So if in doubt .... rule of thumb is leave it out.

conures can be very clingy and not all conures are interested in toys but this dose not mean they have to become board with the cage just give them an interesting cage with different ways of climbing, the cage is its safe place and should be made a place of interest and safety.

I had two connies and they didnt want me at all. It’s lovely that he loves you! But I can imagine having him constantly on you will eventually become a PITA! Like Diane said - but to add - it sounds like it would be best to start a routine. Get him out for breakfast and play. When he starts to get sleepy, place him back. In the cage and give him a cue - say “Nap time!” Hopefully a few goes at this and he might start going to the cage to sleep, maybe on command “nap time.” This might build his confidence to be alone. As Michael said - it will reinforce his cage as being his safe place and home. Parrots love routines.

I had two connies and they didnt want me at all. It’s lovely that he loves you! But I can imagine having him constantly on you will eventually become a PITA! Like Diane said - but to add - it sounds like it would be best to start a routine. Get him out for breakfast and play. When he starts to get sleepy, place him back. In the cage and give him a cue - say “Nap time!” Hopefully a few goes at this and he might start the cage to sleep, maybe on command “nap time.” This might build his confidence to be alone. As Michael said - it will reinforce his cage as being his safe place and home. Parrots love routines.
Yes, at times having a little cling-on on the shoulder can be a PITA, it's amazing how densely heavy 130gms can feel sometimes, little scratches on the shoulders and neck all summer and having to do everything with limited arm movements...... but it's such a privilege and l wouldn't swap having Dora there 😃 .... most of the time anyway, till she poos🤣.

Back
Top Bottom