1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today I Got My Cockatiel :)

Discussion in 'Parrot Chatter' started by LemonZaz, Oct 25, 2018.

1. LemonZaz

LemonZaz Regular Member Registered

I bought home my first cockatiel today! (Hand reared). He wasnt very happy with me removing him from the travel cage lol, bit me several times. Im planning on leaving him for 24-48 hours and then ill start seeing if he/she will take treats etc.
    I asked the breeder about spot on etc but they said he wont need it because he hasnt been outside? Despite being around other birds where he was raised.. I thought they should be done every 6 months or so anyway?

Anyway, any tips etc would be great for helping him/her to settle :) im hoping it wont be TOO long before he/she can be handled considering he/she was hand reared. Poor little mite hasnt moved since i popped him in his new home.
    Ill post some pictures when he/she is settled and happy

JessCheekyMia, Roz and Stinkie like this.
  2. Roz

Roz Regular Member

Congrats!!!! :ura: Awwwww - Kobe was the same when I first got him... completely frozen for a day or two. He'll be feeling very lost without his usual flock. A bird that has lost his flock in the wild is in a very vulnerable/dangerous space, so just move around him slowly. Is his cage against a wall? That will make him feel more secure... nobody is going to come up behind him. If not against a wall you could cover half his cage with a neutral coloured sheet. Leave him be and let him find his food and water. If he is ok with you going up to talk to him gently then do so. But if he's terrified, back off and let him be. Let him get used to his new surroundings.

I wouldn't put any parasite or mite spray etc near an indoor parrot unless told to by a vet. They are not good for their respiratory systems (they are an insecticide/poison). Indoor birds shouldn't have mites. as the breeder said. I have never used such a product on any of my birds.

Rain and LemonZaz like this.
  3. LemonZaz

Just noticed, he is curious, watching me move around the room with his little head crest up, but also looks a bit puffed up and shivery. Seems like hes majorly stressed perhaps? :(

4. LemonZaz

Hi, thanks for the advice yes his cage is against a wall. Im trying to control my toddler too, although so far so good!

Its a spot on, not a spray but sure, i will leave it :) Perhaps something to consider for when he goes outside in future?

5. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Congratulations, happy days ahead xx

LemonZaz likes this.
  6. sunnyring

sunnyring Regular Member

sounds very frightened. try not to stare at him but watch from corner of eye- or watch his reflection. also please turn your heating on! he may be cold.
    spot ons/sprays. no do not use unless vet tells you. birds are not subjected to routine spraying of chemicals for no good reason as it is bad for them. my aviary birds live outside and they do not get dosed either as do not need it
    ps the toddler must kept well clear of him until he has calmed down and relaxed and eating well.
    pps ...have you got any spray millet? if not go up pet shop and get some now. it is ideal little comfort for frightened little new birds.

Rain, LemonZaz and JessCheekyMia like this.
  7. JessCheekyMia

JessCheekyMia Regular Member

Congratulations!!

I couldn't agree more with everything @sunnyring has mentioned. A Quiet and very calm household is what he or she is needing and that means no running toddlers around the little tiel too. Also keeping him or her warm is important too. Cockatiels get very scared easily so when he or she has fully settled then introduce new thing's slowly.
    When my husband's children were young, not toddlers but I didn't allow them near my Cheeky until he was fully settled. Then when Cheeky was fine they had a no run and don't make loud noices policy in the room he was in. I still have this policy even now. As I have young nephews and niece's and they like to play around, but they know and they understand not too around my birds.
    They will get so much pleasure and joy around your new little cockatiel, so I am sure if you explain it in a way for them to understand they will be fine. I use to tell kids if you want Cheeky to play and sit with you then Cheeky needs you to make him feel more safe with you by sitting Quietly then he will come down to see you. There faces use to light up when Cheeky came down to them and they would feel like they were looking after him. It was so cute to watch.

8. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Congratulations :ura:

LemonZaz likes this.
  9. LemonZaz

My toddler is a sensitive, quiet little chap :) but he does love animals and wants to say hello so im having to keep in out of a room he's usually allowed free access too. I know his fast movements would probably scare him/her! And when the little bird is settled, we will be having him/her out only in the evening when the toddler (and baby) are in bed for a few weeks :) (I know my toddler will squeal in delight if the bird (not named yet!) flys around him!

Ill get some spray millet tomorrow, thanks :)

What can i do to keep him warm? Our boiler is condemmed (rented) so we dont have central heating. Are electric fires alright around birds? Hot water bottle with a towel on?

When would you recommend i let him out the cage? (After hes settled) Should i wait until he perches on my finger, or allow him to come out when he wants with the risk of not being able to catch him?

10. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

Congratulations on the new birdie, I hope he settles in well! Any chance of a picture? I'm sure someone will be along with some more specific advice soon, but if I were you I would move slowly and keep surprises and stimulation (including your toddler, except perhaps when he is very calm and quiet) to a minimum. She's still getting used to her new environment, and everything is scary and new for her at the moment, so she needs time to settle in. See what others say, but I would personally be wary of putting hands in cage too much or letting her out while she is still so nervous; she needs for now to know her cage is a safe place. Once she learns this, she will probably want to go back to it of her own accord if anything bothers her when she's out.

Our conures were hand-raised by us, are tame (though not mad about scratches and cuddles) will come when called, enjoy playing with us, and know some tricks. However they were still quite stressed by the events of our recent move and seeing the new house, despite us trying to keep stimulation to a minimum by bringing them with us in a covered cage. They didn't eat or drink much that day (hardly anything while in the travel cage - I had to literally put food and fruit into their beaks), spent most of their time clinging at the top of the cage, as birds tend to do when they are scared, and were still quite nervous the next. It took three or four days for them to really settle in and appear confident again, and they are still a bit nervous when I let them out in the living room/kitchen area as it is much bigger than any room they were in before.

LemonZaz likes this.
  11. LemonZaz

20181025_195343.jpg 20181025_154324.jpg 20181025_195313.jpg

Here he/she is :)
    A bit puffy still despite the fire and hottie. Once or twice he/she has opened her mouth but no sound came. I hope he/she isn't ill :( Will be getting her booked into a vet when i can for a check up anyway

DizzyBlue, Ararajuba and dianaT like this.
  12. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Lovely photo. I wouldn't overly worry re hot water bottle, so long as there is some heating and it is not icy cold. I would half cover the cage overnight though as it gives a bird security and also they like to snuggle up. Try not to use a towel as claws can get caught, I use a small sheet or old curtains folded in half. He/she is beautifully marked, and it will take a while to settle in and take in its new home and surroundings and get used to different noises & people, so just take it easy, there is plenty of time.

LemonZaz likes this.
  13. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I feel like thats going to be a boy...

LemonZaz and TomsMum like this.
  14. Ararajuba

Ararajuba Regular Member

What a beauty he/she is. I really like those markings too!

LemonZaz and TomsMum like this.
  15. LemonZaz

I thought so too!

16. DizzyBlue

DizzyBlue Administrator Staff Member Admin

How beautiful :emoji_heart_eyes:
    Congratulations LemonZaz and happy "gotcha day" little one :)

LemonZaz likes this.
  17. Stinkie

Stinkie Moderator Staff Member Moderator

How's the little one today? I wouldn't worry too much about the puffiness, cockatiels like to puff up for the cuteness factor, maybe.

LemonZaz likes this.
  18. LemonZaz

I think hes doing okay, thank you :) When i came down this morning, he hadn't eaten, so i held some seed out close to him and after inspecting it, he ate some! I then had to stand there with my hand out for 10 minutes lol - was aching so badly haha. Ive just been back in again pottering around and he was slowly edging towards the cage side nearest me, and then had a sneaky play with one of the toys :) Hes back on his highest perch point now, chewing at the rope.
    When the todder has a nap, ill see if he would like some more seed :)

19. LemonZaz

Just another little update, he's happily playing with his toys (ish, not sure he knows how to?), flying around his cage, eating from his bowl and tentatively from my hand. Hes also been whistling/chirruping alllllll morning :D and when i whistle back, he comes over to look at me haha. Hes alright with my hand in the cage and eating from it etc, but still wont allow me to stroke him or put it near him to teach step up. Ill be getting some millet tomorrow (dont have the car today) which might help. I think he's made good progress though? :)

20. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Sounds great. No need to rush things with the step up....he’ll do it when he feels comfortable and trusting enough.....making great provress

dianaT, DizzyBlue and LemonZaz like this.