1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips On Chew Toys For Beak Please

Discussion in 'Health' started by tuki, May 15, 2018.

1. tuki

tuki Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I recently posted on here about my yellow sided conure Charlie's beak being a bit too long and people suggested to get him more into chewing.
    The problem is he really doesnt care for chewing much at all and I'm not really sure how to get him into it.
    He has natural wooden perches, calcium blocks, cuttlefish, etc. but is just not really into chewing on them. He prefers playing with plastic and metal toys instead! silly bird..
    I bought the agave kabobs which he really loves and gets into chewing on, but they are very soft and I'm not sure they are doing much for his beak though?
    If anyone has any ideas on how to get him interested in chewing on wooden toys and can recommend something, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Kat

2. marley

marley Regular Member

Fresh natural twigs from an apple tree usually get them going, just make sure the tree is unsprayed with any chemicals. Either make perches or tie bundles of thin twigs together, also maybe strong cardboard boxes?

3. tuki

tuki Regular Member

Thanks Marley. I can do the cardboard but will have to go on the hunt for apple trees then :)

4. dianaT

dianaT Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Or maybe willow or hazel if you can find them.

5. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you can’t get anything suitable from the hedgerow or woods, then look out in the rabbit/furries dept in your pet shop, this is a link to pets at home, willow sticks
    http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/woodlands-medium-willow-sticks?i=9&orderBy=1#

I know what you mean about the agave kabobs they just end up as dust very quickly.

Have a look at the balsa wood blocks and toys which natural bird company do, as they are softer than pine, and a good solution...

http://www.naturalbirdco.co.uk/shop/search.php?q=Balsa&search.x=0&search.y=0

dianaT likes this.
  6. tuki

tuki Regular Member

Ooh thank you Tomsmum, those are some good ideas! I will have a look online thanks as we live in the city centre and I dont have access to woodlands here :)
    I just realised I have some willow sticks that our hamster gets - I will try and see if I can get him interested in them! Would you cut them in smaller pieces and hang them up together?
    I also found some sticks that say they are from the hazelnut bush - can he have those?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    TomsMum likes this.
  7. TomsMum

TomsMum Administrator Staff Member Admin

Yes Hazelnut wood is safe for parrots :thumbsup:

8. tuki

tuki Regular Member

Perfect. Thank you!

TomsMum likes this.