Tips on a bird that wants to fly!

Lauraj

Registered
Afternoon everybody! Hope you are all well.

Unsure if ive popped it in the right thread area but did so as it is part training (i think) just wondered if any other parrot parent has experienced the same thing as me.

As you all know Bo my CAG was clipped on one wing when we bought him, he has his two outer feathers and then about 5 missing. If you look at his wing it doesn't look clipped when he is resting as he has the two outside feathers but it's sad when he stretches out!
We cant wait for his wing to grow back so he is mobile and able to fly. Bo is 8.5 months old now so hoping he should have his first molt shortly and have both wings matching and pretty!

My need of help is because Bo hasn't got the idea he cannot fly, and often likes to take flight from the sofa or footstool and end up on the floor. He loves to be out of his cage, either playing and talking on his java stand or exploring running round the floor if he is not sat on one of us getting tickles!
The last couple of days he has tried to fly more, he hasn't hurt himself when landing but seems to crash land and this is what we want to prevent him hurting himself. He also sits on the top of his cage and flaps his wings like a crazy bird which i have mentioned before and members have said it's good that he is exercising his muscles.
He also watches fifi our other bird when she is out flying round the room and gets so excited he bounces up and down on his perch in his cage! I have the feeling he will enjoy flying eventually!

We stay in the room any time he is out and watch his body language such as dipping his head and opening his wings and we will go collect him and put him where he wants to go, however sometimes he just goes straight for the flight!

Has anybody experienced a bird wanting to fly with a clipped wing? Or actually flying clipped? Any tips or tricks or general advice would be greatly appreciated, don't want him to fly from higher and end up injured!

He is a very independent little guy who is developing daily, he has found his voice and doesn't stop talking! Just want the best for him, he loves stepping up and down and getting tickles so hoping when he does fly he will be great at recall! 😁

Thanks in advance.

Michael Reynolds

ok its a matter of building his strength up in the muscles that drive his wings, if you can get him on your arm move it up and down so he uses his wings to keep balance, when bathing get him soaked he will start flapping his wings more so try to lengthen his bath time as exercise. change most of his perch's to lose rope or swings, any thing you can think of to get him flapping more.

Lauraj

Registered
ok its a matter of building his strength up in the muscles that drive his wings, if you can get him on your arm move it up and down so he uses his wings to keep balance, when bathing get him soaked he will start flapping his wings more so try to lengthen his bath time as exercise. change most of his perch's to lose rope or swings, any thing you can think of to get him flapping more.
Thank you, i have noticed that if he is sat on our arm or shoulder he bobs up and down if we move, is this him preparing to fly or balancing himself?
He has a number of rope perches and also a couple of wooden swing toys and is always hanging one leg on one toy or another haha!

Is it normal for a bird who is clipped to want to fly? Currently struggling with bath time as he hates getting a bath 😂 great help though, thank you!

Michael Reynolds

Yes birds are built to fly, the problem you may have is if your bird has a bad experience in landing (do not rush over to him but observe him at a slight distance) let him get over the shock himself or he can blame you for his accident. I have known birds to get frightened of there owners after they had an accident. I think that when they are in shock they do not remember what caused it Ha Ha. this can also stop a bird from having the confidence to try again and may just walk than try to fly, so extra patients is needed to try to build up there confidence again. later in life you may find that a bird that had been clipped will be more likely to pluck it feathers, so to me getting a bird to fly is very important so it knows he is a bird and not another animal.

Lauraj

Registered
Yes birds are built to fly, the problem you may have is if your bird has a bad experience in landing (do not rush over to him but observe him at a slight distance) let him get over the shock himself or he can blame you for his accident. I have known birds to get frightened of there owners after they had an accident. I think that when they are in shock they do not remember what caused it Ha Ha. this can also stop a bird from having the confidence to try again and may just walk than try to fly, so extra patients is needed to try to build up there confidence again. later in life you may find that a bird that had been clipped will be more likely to pluck it feathers, so to me getting a bird to fly is very important so it knows he is a bird and not another animal.
Fingers crossed he doesn't become a plucker later in life! We can't wait for him to fly, i know many people have different opinions in clipping but it isn't something i will be doing!
That's a good point thank you, when Bo lands more often than not it is a thud and he is on the floor. Never just drops he always travels a distance then ends up on the floor, hoping when he gets stronger the landing will be smoother. But when he lands he stops, looks round then walks across the floor to one of us and puts his foot up.

I used to rush to him and pick him up but it scared him more, so thank you for that!
This morning he flew from the java stand and ended up near our TV which is at the other side of the room, he landed rolled over and then got up before laughing and running to me (Didn't think parrots running before Bo was funny but that run makes me chuckle) he is fine and let us examine him but he is on the go now! Will work on building the muscles in his wings, really do appreciate the help as this is new to me. Our first bird was not clipped and flew round the house from the first day we had her!

Michael Reynolds

as he is missing vital feathers that he will use in aid to lift his front of his body up just before he lands he will have a few flops down on his upper chest

JackAndRob

If one of our birds makes an unscheduled landing, we first give them a little time to recover. There have been no injuries yet, so there has been no immediate need to jump in straightaway. They will normally fly up, or go to a cage or some furniture to clamber up. I feel that it is sometimes important to leave them to work things out for themselves if they are in no danger. I've only stepped in if they have looked a little lost, but that has been very rare.

Top Bottom