Tips and Tricks for Indoor Ceiling Toys

Fetten Schakal

Registered
I have two birds and one is a former aviary bird who has had a couple of crashes because she tries to fly into furniture or misjudges the top of the cage. I want to put up some high perches and toys on the roof above the cage so she can land up there safe and be as far away from me as she likes. I have permission for hooks to be put in the ceiling; what kind of hooks do you recommend? Can you recommend me a long log-like perch?

NOTE: The weights we are working with are cockatiel-sized weights. I'd be looking to put up a boing, maybe a swing, absolutely want a long log perch as a landing place, and maybe a couple of toys

dianaT

Staff member
I cannot advise as do not have any ceiling hanging toys etc. But you may like to make a large stand it can fly to, use a hefty bucket and plant branches from safe wood like apple, willow, hazel in there you can tie other branches to it to make it more interesting, and hook or tie toys etc from them. I use sand to secure the main branch in the bucket. I am sure others who do have ceiling hooks will be along with advice.

Fetten Schakal

Registered
It is a dream to have a floor stand as well, I'll add that to the list! Looking at Flipfllopip's Mojo and Shinda videos, I completely forgot about ropes, I usually don't have any rope perches for fear of fraying and the difficulties in keeping them clean, but it's something to keep in mind as well! I need to see if I can contact her abotu what hooks she used for her aviary stuff.

RoyJess

I used cup hooks for ours. Drill a hole to accommodate a raw plug into the celling, pop a raw plug in, screw in your hook. Make sure that the celling is strong enough to take the weight. Please be aware that building built before 2000 may contain asbestos in Artex, celling and walls. The amount in Artex is minuscule and is unlikely to cause you any harm, but do take preauction when drilling into Artex, wear a mask, cover the area with wallpaper paste to catch any dust along with a drill shield, do search the internet for more info with regards to safely drilling into Artex.

Some of our hanging perches are made using natural parrot safe branch, I use some eyes (as in hook and eyes used for net curtain wire) to attach to some chain. Use pliers to un-bend and re-bend the eyes around the chain. I also hang a poop tray underneath covered with paper and held in place using table cloth metal clips.

Some of our other hanging perches were made using plastic piping, eyes and D-links, chain and planter saucer. I then hang toys and swing perch or boing from them.

DizzyBlue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I use a website called Junglegold first came across them at a Parrot Society Show about 7 years ago they also do seeds and other things too, anyway I buy my rope by the meter and that way I can decide how long or how many loops etc I want to make.

They also do a few rope toys perhaps the spiral perches may be of use?

Fetten Schakal

Registered
Ooo some invaluable links and names here, I'm going to have a look in Junglegold as I ccan already see a couple of things my two will love, thank you!

Top Bottom